The ocean is critical to human and planetary health —but ocean health is in rapid and accelerating decline. We believe that we have the responsibility —and ability —to act.
Running Tide is a global ocean health company. Our fast-growing, multidisciplinary teams of world-class scientists, engineers, and maritime operators, design and implement interventions that rebalance Earth’s carbon cycle, decarbonize global supply chains, restore marine ecosystems, and revitalize coastal communities. Our corporate operations, business development, communications, and policy teams support Running Tide’s front-line workers in scaling our interventions to tackle humanity’s most urgent challenges: restoring ocean health and combating climate change.
We are expanding our substrate development team and are looking for a substrate development intern to help improve our substrate development and material characterization systems. This team is responsible for developing our “carbon drifter” systems - floating buoys made from natural materials that we deploy into the open ocean to grow and sequester macroalgae for carbon removal purposes. The right person is curious, motivated to solve complex challenges, and driven to create novel ways to reverse climate change.This position will be onsite in our Portland, ME location for the July-December season. Candidates must be local or willing to relocate for the entire duration of the internship.
- Work closely with a material scientist to design experiments, then execute those experiments autonomously to test different substrate recipes and production processes
- Work closely with the engineering team to spec out and develop substrate test systems
- Work closely with the chemistry lab team to characterize candidate materials, and execute tests in the chemistry lab
- Interface with the substrate production engineering team to evaluate how manufacturing processes scale from prototype to production scale
You Are (or You Have):
- Working towards a degree in Material Science, Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering or similar degrees focused on natural materials
- Comfortable using hand tools and basic material handling equipment
- Competent using Microsoft Excel or similar tools to manipulate datasets
- Experience working in a laboratory environment
- Experience working with natural materials like wood and plant-based agricultural waste products
Our teams operate with utmost persistence. We are tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems, and we are unwavering in our motivation to find a solution. At our core, we are innovators driven to do "more good" rather than "less bad" in the world.
Running Tide is committed to building a diverse team, bringing as many possible perspectives to bear on the unprecedented challenges facing our planet. We are committed to building an inclusive environment where people of all backgrounds can come to do their best work.
All offers of employment at Running Tide are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check.