Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The Lead Production Technician at Commonwealth Fusion Systems is responsible for leading a fast-paced and agile team building the world’s strongest high temperature superconducting magnets and assemblies for integration into CFS fusion devices. The role is responsible for continuously improving production tasks, maintaining schedules with resourcing, and assuring quality requirements are met per documentation. The technician team is a hands-on build team working with mechanical, electrical, magnetic, cryogenic, pressure, vacuum, and pneumatic systems.
This individual will cover our Second Shift which will be 3:00 pm - 12:00 am.
This team member will:
- Build, lead, and assist in training a team in qualifying and processing high temperature conductor material and other special metals that go into building the magnet systems
- Drive continuous improvement projects working with manufacturing engineers and technicians to develop and qualify new manufacturing techniques and processes
- Maintain and repair electrical hardware used in a variety of testing equipment and HTS processing systems. Mange procedures, specifications, and test instructions based on training needs
- Troubleshoot and resolve manufacturing discrepancies with a focus on continuous improvement
- Use various mechanical and precision calibrated tools such as voltage testers, micrometers, calipers, sensors and a variety of electrical hand tools and power tools
- Ensure all technicians are acting in a safe standard set forth by CFS
- Assist in sustaining Quality & Takt into Production builds set by standards of CFS
- Stakeholder for feedback to supervisor during reviews
- Manage and approve timecards
- Perform other related job duties related to the job, as assigned by management.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- High school diploma/equivalency certificate or higher
- Any training or certification in use of scientific equipment is a plus
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience with lab equipment in a quality and/or manufacturing environment
- Fundamental skills and experience in managing and using inventory systems
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Basic understanding of manufacturing operations and scheduling
- 5S and Lean training or experience is a plus
- Experience with winding equipment of any type is a plus
- Reel to Reel equipment or similar
- High Temperature Superconducting knowledge
- Working with cryogenic chemicals such as LN and Helium in a lab environment
- Hand tools and basic power tools
- Electrical schematic and wiring
- Lab Viewer software or similar data analyzing software
- Experience in a variety of technical support skills such as mechanical and electrical assembly, vacuum systems, cryogenic systems, soldering, and wiring.
- Commitment to safety and quality
- Ability to take directions from leadership and work independently
- Desire to work and contribute in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and teamwork skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and cleanliness with hands-on work
- Ability and patience to work through projects from start to finish, including assembly and testing
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.