Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS is looking for an individual with advanced plant design skills to lead the team responsible for developing the 3D model design and drawing production that will enable construction of a cutting-edge fusion energy plant designated as SPARC. The plant structure is currently in construction on a fast-track basis and the Plant Design Lead will manage the team to design the plant process systems based upon schematics prepared by CFS engineering. When the SPARC project is operational as planned in mid-2025, the Plant Design Lead will support the turnover of the 3D model and associated engineering database for use as an operational tool. Additionally, the 3D model of SPARC will be used as a seed file for the design of a commercial version of the plant designated as ARC. At a point in time when the design of SPARC is sufficiently mature, the Plant Design Lead will transition to lead the 3D design activities associated with ARC, planned to be the first electric power producing fusion plant in the world.
This team member will:
- Manage the activities of a plant design team in the development of 3D model content and creation of the drawings and documents that will enable construction of SPARC
- Have responsibility for the plant layout
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team of engineers to finalize all aspects of plant design necessary to support construction activities, including Issued for Bid and Issued for Construction work packages
- Instill process and construction standards and best practices
- Facilitate the interface between the engineering team and the engineering database associated with the 3D model
- Facilitate 2D CAD development of P&IDs
- Issue typical drawings such as General Arrangements, Isometrics, Equipment Locations, P&IDs, Electrical plans and one-lines;
- Provide regular updates for export to the tokamak design team and procurement specialists;
- Ensure the design is maintained under configuration control
- Maintain interfaces between plant systems and subsystems
- Report on and be accountable for project progress to the Head of Construction and Support Infrastructure
- Maintain continuity of the 3D model design and the associated information database as the plant transitions from design and construction to operations, maintenance and subsequent design initiatives
- Create design content within the AVEVA 3D CAD model platform
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Led teams in the design of complex highly engineered process plant systems
- Proficient in 3D CAD modeling
- A minimum of 10 years of experience leading design teams
- Design skill in multiple disciplines
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Preferably a bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent experienceExperience working under a QA program
- Working knowledge of the AVEVA E3D platform
- An exceptional safety record and attention to detail
- Familiarity in applying normal industry standards to design solutions
- The ability to clearly express and critique ideas
- A value for elegance and simplicity over complexity
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, startup R&D environment
- Experience converting 3D model design content to documents used for construction
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, and noise.
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.