Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
We are looking for an experienced and capable battery engineer to join Form Energy’s Anode Development Team, designing and developing a critical component of Form Energy’s multi-day storage system. You will lead the development of Form’s next generation iron metal anodes through innovative material and electrode designs, leading to step-wise improvements in efficiency and durability with reduced cost. You will coordinate cross-organizational efforts with modeling engineers, mechanical engineers, material scientists, and process engineers, starting from concept development, electrode design, prototyping process, performance validation, and to full-scale product application. The scope will include identifying scalable and cost-effective manufacturing processes working closely with the advanced manufacturing team. This is an opportunity to have a direct and daily impact in an exciting energy technology startup.
What You'll Do:
- Develop concept designs for Form’s next generation iron anodes, hosting cross team concept ideation phases.
- Propose designs to modeling engineers to help develop electrochemical multi-physics models for concept validation
- Design and prototype physical prototypes by working with mechanical engineers; lead the evaluation of the concept anodes’ performance.
- Perform root cause analysis with the team to identify and understand anode performance bottlenecks, propose performance improvement levers
- Collaborate with other teams within Form on cell designs and product feasibility of the anode electrodes
- Understand the battery testing data and the experimental protocols and utilize them for anode design improvements
What You'll Bring:
- 3+ years experience designing and testing electrodes for electrochemical systems
- Master’s or advanced degree in Electrochemistry, Chemistry, Material science, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field
- Understands well the electrochemical multi-physics battery models and governing equations
- Familiarity with electrode mechanical designs & processes
- Good understanding of the properties of electrode materials and analysis tools such as SEM, XRD, XRF, EIS
- Basic data analysis skills (python preferred)
- Strong communication skills within a group of peers and broader organization, including with remote team members
- Enjoys hands-on mechanical lab work such as various machining processes and lab equipment setups
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.