is a clean energy leader creating smarter, greener, healthier buildings for all by reducing the barriers to money-saving, quality-of-life-improving green building upgrade. We provide engineering, financing and project implementation services for our clients, with a special focus in historically left out communities across the country. These communities, and their buildings, are underserved by traditional energy services companies because they are considered too small, too costly, or too risky. Our portfolio of projects include houses of worship, schools, non-profits, small businesses and multifamily buildings. Through our work, we save our clients money, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve health and create local employment opportunities.
At BlocPower, we value our mission. We are trusted advisors that get things done for our customers by using data to make the right decisions. We support and expect excellence from our team members. We treat both our customers and ourselves with care and respect.
As our work is centered around systematically disenfranchised communities – including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people – we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
About the Role
- BlocPower is looking for a mid-level Senior Energy Engineer. In this role, you will be working on a cross-disciplinary team to develop, sell, and deliver electrification and energy efficiency retrofit projects, especially more complex and customized projects.
- You will help the team and clients understand each project’s energy usage, retrofit scope, and estimated project costs. To do so, you will provide energy and engineering analysis throughout the entire project life cycle, though primarily during project development. You will also serve as a technical leader and mentor on the Engineering Services team to help raise the level of the entire team.
- As senior members of a nimble, growing team, we also expect you to take a strong role in building the company into a leader in electrifying residential and small commercial buildings. This means taking the initiative to improve tools and processes and flexibly taking on new responsibilities when the need arises.
- This is a unique opportunity to work in a fast-paced, mission-driven organization. We offer a flexible work environment, though we are working remotely for the foreseeable future. We offer competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefits package, and an opportunity to learn and grow in a cutting-edge environment. We have a strong preference for candidates willing to work from or have significant travel to Ithaca, New York.
What You'll Do
- Under the supervision of the Engineering Services Manager, the Senior Energy Engineer will:
Energy and Design Engineering
- Lead site visits and energy audits to assess buildings and their equipment to uncover retrofit opportunities.
- Collect and analyze data (e.g. field visits, energy bills, data loggers) and use energy energy modeling software (e.g. EnergyPlus, eQUEST, RightSuite) to understand and quantify building energy use before retrofits and verify impact after retrofits.
- Identify financially-viable energy conservation measures (ECMs) to improve the operation, maintenance, or energy efficiency of buildings.
- Synthesize HVAC, engineering, and renewable energy knowledge to formulate comprehensive project solutions and life-cycle assessments.
- Develop preliminary designs and/or review others’ designs for electrification of HVAC systems to determine appropriate scopes of work and accurately estimate project costs.
- Understand and effectively utilize, satisfy, or perform activities related to relevant local laws, initiatives, incentives, and benchmarking and their requirements. This includes the New York State Clean Heat Program and other electrification-related incentive programs from utilities and NYSERDA.
Project and Client Management
- Proactively coordinate with cross-functional teams to deliver technical solutions to clients.
- Develop and deliver reports, presentations, and communications with strong client-orientation.
Technical and Team Leadership
- Develop and maintain strong domain knowledge and experience in buildings’ energy systems.
- Serve as a subject-matter expert by effectively sharing domain knowledge to raise the level of the team
- Identify and implement substantial improvements to existing processes and tools or develop new, more effective solutions
- Mentor more junior members of the team to accelerate their professional growth
- Provide engineering support to new BlocPower products.
Who You Are
- BS or Masters degree in Engineering field
- 5+ years of experience with building energy analysis and/or HVAC design in a collaborative project development environment
- Strong understanding of thermodynamics, heat transfer, psychrometrics, refrigeration cycles, building HVAC and electrical systems, energy efficiency, green building, and high-performance design
- Strong written and communication skills.
What You'll Get from Us
- Targeted salary: $95k, negotiable commensurate with experience and certifications
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Maternity and paternity leave benefits per NYC law
- Commuter and bike to work benefits
- P.E. license in NY state and/or CEM or CEA certification
- Experience with construction project management and/or managing MEP subcontractors
- Experience with cold-climate air-source heat pump system design
- Experience with HVAC project cost estimation
- Frequent site travel to buildings within NY State to assess energy opportunities
- Must be able to work in industrial and mechanical spaces, with exposure to heat, noise, heights, and confined spaces
- Must be able to move light (~20 lbs) equipment between office and site locations and ascend/descend ladders
This job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position. The duties and responsibilities may change without notice.
BlocPower™ provides equal employment opportunities(EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, BlocPower™ complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
BlocPower™ expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of BlocPower™ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.