Lead Full-Stack Software Developer Have you created a successful career in tech and are ready to do something good with your skills and experience? If yes, then join us in our mission to build Open Source software for the climate emergency!OpenEarth Foundation
is a California-based research and deployment non-profit. We create Open Source technology to increase planetary resilience and avoid a catastrophic climate crisis.
We are building open infrastructure for the Paris Agreement, energy finance, biodiversity tracking, and other critical problems.
We are a diverse international team, working with a network of collaborators and partners globally, from the United Nations to startups.
We have funding and a team of experts focused on Earth systems and digital innovation.Your mission, should you choose to accept it:
As a lead full-stack software developer
you will build Web-based digital products to fight climate change and biodiversity loss.
You'll work with others at OEF and partner organizations to build new software or iterate on existing products. You'll collaborate with a product manager to decide what gets done; you'll work with a product designer to decide how interfaces look and behave; and you'll share tasks with other full-stack engineers to build working systems.
The position is remote and international. We're working on the planet's problems and we need the planet's best people to fix them.
Salary Range: $65k-$105k annually
Our salary range for this role is dependent on location and experience. That being said, there is much room for growth in this position and being a small start-up, opportunity for rapid growth is highly likely, but also dependent on performance. Also, anyone that joins this team has the opportunity for real hands-on experience in what could be forefront of climate tech for the foreseeable future.
The following requirements describe our ideal candidate. If you don't meet some of the requirements, you're encouraged to apply anyway. Let us know what's missing and how we can work together to make it up.
Where you've been
A bachelor's degree or higher in computer science, electrical engineering, or a related technical discipline; or equivalent work experience and self-study
3 years of experience building Web applications
2 shipped projects or applications that you can show us
1 shipped project where you were technical lead for your squad
What you've done
- Experience designing and deploying databases (using, for example, relational or NoSQL database management systems)
- Experience designing and building back-end systems (for example, APIs, event handlers, or microservices)
- Experience designing and building front-end Web systems (for example, ReactJS, CSS)
- Experience researching, choosing and connecting technologies to build solutions
How you work
- Experience collaborating with a team of software engineering peers
- Experience co-owning a project with your product manager peer
- Experience collaborating with team members from other disciplines such as design, product management, devops
- Experiencing mentoring software developers
- Experience negotiating with a product manager on sprint schedules, task balance, and task estimates
- Experience working in an agile environment such as Scrum or Kanban
- Ability to estimate and complete tasks
- Ability to communicate with team members on Slack, videochat, and Jira
What will make you stand out
- Experience maintaining a public Open Source project with community collaborators
- Experience integrating AI/ML models into Web-based software products
- Experience with ReactJS
- Experience with express
- Experience with internationalization (i18n)
- Experience with test-driven development (TDD)
- Experience with continuous integration (CI)
- Experience with cloud deployment tools, like Kubernetes and Docker
- Experience with Internet of Things (iot) or embedded systems
- Experience with Web3 as a platform
- Experience with geographical information systems (GIS)
OEF is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We support diversity, equity and inclusion in teams, and believe people should align their work with their purpose. Join us if you love Earth.
Please apply with your resume with a brief cover letter. The cover letter is an important part of the application. It is your opportunity to show us how your experience and education match our requirements.
We look forward to hearing from you!