Since 1984, SCS Global Services has been a pioneer and leader in the field of sustainability standards and third-party certification, working across the economy in the natural resources, built environment, food and agriculture, consumer products and climate sectors. Partnering with companies, government agencies, NGOs, and stakeholders, we are striving to advance sustainable development goals through independent assessment, the application of sound science, and innovative solutions. Through these services, we are enabling decision-makers and purchasers to make informed decisions, giving innovators a competitive edge, and helping to drive the development of leadership standards to create a framework for continuous improvement.
The Senior Technical Manager administers assigned food safety schemes and ensures the integrity of certification processes, decisions, and compliance with scheme owner and accreditation requirements. The position requires expertise in the relevant standard/scheme(s), third-party auditing experience, and certification accreditation requirements. The Senior Technical Manager works with the Director of Food & Safety and other department program staff to assure members are effectively trained in the scheme operations and technical requirements.
- GFSI Schemes: BRCGS, SQF, FSSC 22000
- SCS In-house GMP/GDP Programs
- Client Specific Programs such as Costco
Roles and Responsibilities
Certification Scheme Management
- Hire, train, and manage the performance of technical associates
- Maintain knowledge and qualification in scheme, accreditation, and regulatory requirements by actively monitoring updates, newsletters, alerts, etc., attending trainings, conducting audits, performing technical reviews, and making certification decisions
- Conduct technical report reviews, make certification decisions, and manage the certification process
- Issue and support process to approve suspensions, terminations, and reinstatements of certificates
- Act as the primary point of contact with the scheme owner and ensure all operational and technical scheme requirements are effectively communicated and implemented
- Participate in working groups and technical committees for the relevant schemes
- Liaise with Quality Assurance to ensure all elements of the quality management systems are maintained in compliance and ensure certification integrity, including leading internal audit findings, complaints, and appeals investigation and resolution
Program Quality and Development
- Lead the development and implementation of scheme procedures, guidance, and training materials to increase the quality and efficiency of auditing services and certification processes
- Partner with operations and audit management to ensure all staff maintains current knowledge and training of the scheme requirements
- Manage auditor approval and ongoing maintenance of auditor qualification and competence records in external databases
- Conduct witness audits for auditor approval process
- Oversee the data integrity in the external databases and coordinate with operations leadership and staff to ensure procedures are in place and effectively implemented to maintain scheme requirements for audit data integrity
Client Support and Communication
- Lead technical interpretation and support program and sales staff in resolving complex technical questions
- Maintain a sense of urgency and excellence in responsiveness to matters affecting client service and satisfaction
- Empower operations and sales staff to achieve self-reliance in responding to customer inquiries wherever possible by providing work instructions, clear guides, and references/resources
- Participate in webinars, trade shows, and support sales calls to provide technical sales support
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (e.g. food science, biology, agricultural science, or equivalent.) and minimum 7 years of work experience in food manufacturing operations or quality with leadership or personnel supervisory responsibilities
- At least 2 years of third-party auditing experience in the assigned schemes
- Credentials and experience as a lead auditor in one or more services that SCS offers
- English language fluency and experience that involves professional written and verbal communication; preference for candidates with bilingual Spanish fluency
- Well-developed organization skills and the ability to prioritize numerous tasks effectively
- Fluency with electronic communication media as well as database management systems, including programs such as Outlook, Word, Excel, FileMaker, Salesforce, and PowerPoint
- Strong customer service and teamwork skills
- Initiative, good judgment, and ability to work independently under pressure in a changing environment
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by the date of hire to be considered, unless precluded by local and national jurisdiction. Pursuant to local and national law--proof of vaccination is required. Medical and religious accommodations will also be considered.
This is predominantly an office-based job. Sit 6+ hours per day. Keyboarding 6+ hours per day. Must be able to speak and listen in person and on the phone. Audit observation may require extensive walking on farms, in fields, and/or in food processing facilities.
- CA Office, Emeryville or Remote, US (Home Office) when not performing audits for clients
- Agricultural field and food facilities during audits, and auditor assessment activities
- Open agricultural fields and orchards
- In close proximity to moving tractors, farm machinery, forklifts, and processing equipment
- In and around pesticides and other processing and sanitation chemical storage facilities
- Under temperature/weather extremes of high heat/cold, dusty, and/or windy conditions
- Travel with/in client vehicles to factory/farm often in rural areas
*SCS, Working Remotely:
At this time, SCS Global Services is recruiting all open roles to be remote; allowing our employees the ability to work flexibly and allowing SCS as a company to diversify the experience and perspectives of our growing workforce.
As part of our remote work, we want to ensure that our employees have what they need to work from home. We provide our new employees with a computer and can offer assistance in acquiring ergonomic necessities.
SCS Global Services provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. SCS Global Services complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfers, leave of absence, compensation, and training.