GreenBiz Group is a fast-growing media and events company that accelerates a just transition to a clean economy. Through events that galvanize, stories that amplify and peer networks that bond, we define markets and advance opportunities at the intersection of business, technology and sustainability. We are a passionate team of people that builds and empowers communities to confront the threats of climate change and solve the thorniest challenges of our time.
GreenBiz Group is seeking a full-time Senior Buildings Analyst passionate about climate tech, next-gen buildings and pathways to decarbonize the built environment. The Analyst will lead on all-things buildings at GreenBiz, including identifying how the company can best serve the sector to accelerate decarbonization while unlocking new opportunities for the company.
The ideal candidate is self-directed, passionate, curious and connected. This position will evolve to align with the strategic view the Analyst brings. This role will report to the VP, Energy, and collaborate closely with other GreenBiz analysts. Beyond the responsibilities outlined below, additional duties may emerge as business needs for this position evolve.
Overall compensation (base salary + discretionary bonus or commission if sales) for this role will be provided commensurate with years of experience and qualifications within the following range: $120,000 - $170,000 plus health and wellness benefits.
Lead on the development and execution of the Buildings Program at VERGE. Responsibilities include:
Strategic partnerships and positioning.
- Spearhead the development of an advisory board and conduct interviews to understand and synthesize the landscape, informing sessions and positioning.
- Identify and engage new audiences in the building sector (from practitioners to trade associations) to support strategic growth of the Buildings Program.
Develop best-in-class content.
- Define scope and focus of the Buildings Program and develop content accordingly, including crafting sessions, tutorials and workshops.
- Identify and recruit content partners, moderators and speakers to bring content to life.
- Constantly reflect on the impact of offerings to ensure content is serving the community well. Be creative and iterate on formats, structures and ideas.
- Review and evaluate speaker proposals related to buildings.
Support the broader VERGE team’s success.
- Provide feedback on applications for the Buildings component of the VERGE Accelerate startup pitch competition.
- Identify strategic organizations to become VERGE partners and support partnership team in making the connection.
- Work with the Sales team to identify, engage and work with Sponsors, including finding high-value thought leadership opportunities.
Develop your voice as a thought leader by authoring a buildings-focused newsletter.
- Stay on top of news, trends, announcements, policies and investments shaping the built environment.
- Synthesize information and pen a newsletter focused on buildings to serve key audiences.
- Newsletter will initially be co-authored with VP of Energy, meaning Analyst will write content on a bi-weekly basis. In the coming months, the newsletter will spin out as an independent offering and become a weekly requirement.
Shape GreenBiz’s strategic position in the Buildings sector, and develop and execute a strategy to grow its influence.
- Become the face of all-things buildings at GreenBiz. This role includes public speaking, from moderating panels to appearing on podcasts and presenting to partners and colleagues.
- Get deep in the sector. Identify and engage high-value speaking and media opportunities. Forge strategic partnership with key organizations. Go to industry events.
- Become embedded in the buildings landscape, understanding where gaps exist and how GreenBiz can grow its value to the community.
- Evaluate and spearhead new products and offerings that are strategic to the company and community.
Support the broader GreenBiz team success.
- Contribute to programming at other events, including in person events (Circularity, GreenBiz, GreenFin) and online events (VERGE Net Zero, VERGE Electrify).
- Host webcasts where feasible and helpful.
We are looking for someone with deep expertise, understanding and connections in the buildings sector. This position is ideal for someone who is mid-level career (with 8-10 years of relevant experience) interested in taking a leadership position in owning and growing a program with little oversight. We are looking for someone who is:
Curious and Passionate. You care deeply about and are driven by addressing climate change. You approach people, organizations and events as an opportunity to learn new topics and perspectives. You aren’t afraid to ask follow up questions when you don’t understand, and you bring humility and care to your connections.
Smart and Strategic. You understand the built environment, the major players, the important organizations, the gaps, and the levers of change. You know how to navigate the world and make new connections. You recognize opportunities to grow programs that have influence in transforming the sector.
Strong Communicator: You can speak and write clearly, thoughtfully, and effectively. This role is both external and internal-facing, so you feel comfortable speaking with everyone, from your teammates at GreenBiz to corporate executives at our events. You believe deeply in the importance of transparent and honest communication. You always follow up and follow through on your word.
Diligent and Detail-Oriented: You feel comfortable managing many moving pieces simultaneously, from confirming a speaker to emailing with an external partner to collaborating internally within a fifteen-minute period. Your organization and systems are exceptional and raise the bar for those around you. You believe magic is in the details.
An Independent Problem-Solver: You can figure things out. You are comfortable working amidst ambiguity and bring a strategic lens to projects and processes. You are excited to learn things you don’t know and do whatever it takes to get the job done. You also know how to ask for help when you need it.
Solutions-Oriented Skeptic: You are a critical-thinker and don’t take things at face-value. You ask hard questions to push us all forward, not to put anyone down. You believe solutions exist, and like to suss out what will make the most impact and how you can elevate important work.
A Dot-Connecter: You like to network, meet new people and draw connections between everything and everyone. You are excited to drive collaboration between teams at GreenBiz, partners, or among speakers. Intellectually, you can draw connections between trends and proof points from across industries.
Technologically Adept: You feel comfortable using Google Apps (Sheets, Docs, Slides), Microsoft Office, Airtable, ClickUp, Salesforce, Drupal, and Marketo — or are willing to learn new platforms and systems that you don’t already know.
A Good Teammate: You show up with empathy, humility, and curiosity. You are not the type of person who says, “That’s not my job;" your motto is “How can I help?” Your intent with all your work is to create a positive impact — for our audience, your team members, and the industry as a whole.
About GreenBiz Group
GreenBiz offers a culture that is collaborative, hardworking, and fun. Our office is located in the heart of downtown Oakland, California, just steps away from the 12th St. Oakland City Center BART and AC Transit lines. Currently, we are all working remotely from home. Please include a cover letter and resume when applying and familiarize yourself with our website at www.greenbiz.com.
We offer a competitive employee benefits package including:
- Full medical and dental benefits
- Retirement savings options
- Generous holiday schedule
- Discretionary paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Two paid volunteer days per year
- Reimbursement for home office expenses
- Employee stock option plan
GreenBiz Group requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and remote roles. GreenBiz Group provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements unless it results in undue hardship for the business. Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.
Equal Employment Opportunity
GreenBiz Group values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. GreenBiz Group is an equal-opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws.