About our Company
Equilibrium Energy is a well-funded, Series A clean energy startup backed by some of the most prominent institutional investors in climate. We are building a digital native power company operating at the intersection of grid variability, market volatility, economic optimization, commercial structuring, and risk management, across the end-to-end power value chain. Our mission is to accelerate our collective path to climate, energy, and societal equilibriums. Our goal is to become one of the next-generation, digital-native, end-to-end global clean power companies that reshapes the energy industry.
New colleagues will share our vision that a next-generation energy company must be built from the ground up on deep industry expertise combined with an unwavering commitment to modern digital approaches. We design our commercial strategies, operational approaches, and product suites so as to best leverage data-driven insights, automated workflows, ML-infused pipelines, and fully automated decision engines. These capabilities are enabled by our progressively modern software stack and engineering best practices, which in turn provide the scalable platform we need to put a serious dent in carbon emissions. We’re looking for collaborative, talented, passionate and resourceful folks to join our team and help us lay the foundation for our important mission and ambitious plan.
What we are looking for
Equilibrium was founded with a vision for building a company where data-centric decision-making drives our operations. Our reliance on closed-loop, ML-infused, autonomous workflow decision-making puts data and data management at the foundation of everything we build and operate. We are looking for talented and passionate data engineering professionals to design, lay and support the technical foundation of our company – data – and thus drive our innovative, collaborative, and agile delivery culture.
What you will do
- Support the design, development, implementation and maintenance of our data engineering tools, workflows, processes and platforms that underpin our data engineering efforts
- Design and build infrastructure for optimal extraction, transformation and loading of data from various data sources (e.g., AWS tooling, Snowflake, DBT, Temporal, Apache Pinot and SQL technologies)
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements including re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, optimizing data delivery, and automating manual processes
- Design and engineer performant, high-reliability systems to handle petabytes of data
- Architecting, mentoring, implementing, and supporting a data ingestion platform for cross company use and enablement
- Building and designing the long term vision for data ingestion at the company to enables cross team collaboration and end to end data ownership
- Assemble large, complex sets of data that meet non-functional and functional business requirements and build large scaled data pipelines
- Design and build analytical tools to accelerate and automate the implementation of new and changing data pipelines
- Nurture, improve and maintain our data quality, including data accuracy, availability performance, and ease of access / understanding of the data in our data engineering ecosystem
- Ensure data pipelines provide the intended actionable insights into key business performance metrics including operational efficiency
- Design and implement scalable data validations per business and domain requirements.
- Support a culture of continuous data quality improvement
- Serve as a collaborative subject matter expert on our data and accelerate our understanding and use of our data
- Work with stakeholders including executive, product, data and design teams to support their data engineering needs while assisting with data quality and comprehension
The minimum qualifications you’ll need
- Passion for clean energy and fighting climate change
- An advanced degree in computer science, data science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, operations research, engineering, or related quantitative discipline
- 8+ years of experience developing a globally distributed data services platform
- 8+ years coding experience (Go, Java, Python, or other applicable languages)
- Expertise in data analysis
- Experience developing and operating large-scale data pipelines demonstrating knowledge with technologies, such as Airflow,Luigi,Spark, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, RDBMS and SQL
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases
- Experience building and optimizing big data data pipelines, architectures and data sets
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets
- A collaboration-first mentality, with a willingness to teach as well as learn from others
Nice to have additional skills
- Familiarity with time series data transformation and ingestion
- Strong understanding of data science concepts
- Expertise in distributed database systems, data lakes and data meshes
Not sure this is the right role for you?
We are a high growth company with accelerating hiring needs so there’s a great chance we’ll be able to create a custom role for you, now or in the future. All roles, titles and compensation packages are tailored to the applicant, so apply anyways and tell us in your cover letter about your dream role.
What we offer
Equilibrium is composed of deeply knowledgeable industry experts across all our functions, with decades of experience in energy-specific commercial structuring, power systems engineering, machine learning, computational research, operations research, distributed and compute-intensive infrastructure, and modern software & ML engineering. Our experience in the space means we’ve previously built versions of nearly every technical component of our platform. We are now designing them better, and combining them in a holistic and novel way, to achieve global scale and climate impact. We pride ourselves on our deeply empathetic & collaborative culture, honest and direct but respectful communication, and our balanced, flexible, and remote-first work environment.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive base salary and a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and 401k package
- Opportunity to own a significant piece of the company via a meaningful equity grant
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the United States & Europe, or join one of our regional hubs in Boston, SF Bay Area, or London
- Accelerated professional growth and development opportunities through direct collaboration and mentorship from leading industry expert colleagues across energy and tech
Equilibrium Energy is a diverse and inclusive, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.