The position of Director of Capital Solutions is a front-office investment management and origination role within the Capital Solutions team and is a great role for someone looking to play a leadership role at a fast-growing PE-backed business. This role’s primary objective is to support the growth of our Capital Solutions business, underwriting and financing distributed energy assets such as community solar, batteries, and microgrids. This role will work closely with, and report to, our Chief Investment Officer, and is an instrumental role for helping our company grow. It will be based primarily out of our New Jersey headquarters. The role includes the following responsibilities:
Project Underwriting, Structuring and Financing:
• Collaborate across organizational functions to structure, finance and underwrite distributed energy projects.
• Assist in the execution of deals for individual projects, integrating commercial, engineering, finance, structuring and credit functions into the solution.
• Manage financial, legal, accounting and other diligence for projects.
• Assist in the negotiation of project, portfolio, and corporate debt, cash equity and equity
financing and manage relationships with financial institutions.
Credit and Portfolio Risk Management:
• Evaluate risk analysis for individual deals at each stage as well as the portfolio.
• Assess and manage counterparty credit risk at project, portfolio and corporate levels.
• Create and track portfolio guidelines, ensuring diversification across various asset types, developers, technologies and geographies.
Business Development and Sourcing:
• Identify and source opportunities to finance third party distributed energy projects.
• Build developer relationships and negotiate key partnership terms.
• Assist in the development of marketing materials for the Capital Solutions business.
• Help shape the on-going development of Scale’s investment criteria in response to market conditions and opportunities.
• Lead team and extended staff to optimize their operations and long-term development in support of their careers and the broader strategy.
• Promote diversity and foster teamwork, collaboration, and a learning organization.
• Ensure effective governance is established such that Scale can make timely financing decisions at each stage of an investment’s lifecycle
• Maintain positive and effective business relationships internally across Scale’s enterprise business.
• Proactively engage with the executive leadership team on investment issues and business innovation, and their impact to overall business strategy.
The Ideal Candidate
- 5+ years of experience financing or investing in infrastructure or renewable energy projects, including distributed generation
- 3+ years of experience managing analyst or associate level financial professionals in a “deal team” structure
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in Finance, Economics, Mathematics, or Engineering); MBA or CFA preferred
- Demonstrated financial modeling competency to evaluate different capital structures across the various debt markets (development capital, commercial bank financing, leveraged finance, mezzanine / Holdco debt
- Experience negotiating, closing and documenting debt and tax equity financings
- Experience developing and auditing complex financial models
- Experience with project and portfolio M&A execution
- Demonstrated experience originating transaction opportunities
- Working knowledge of off-take arrangements for distributed energy
- Experience conducting project / portfolio due diligence and managing third party consultants and transaction counsel
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate information and strategic goals to non-financial people
- Proactive and forward-thinking attitude and creative problem-solving ability and an ability to “manage-up”
- Understanding of the technical/commercial terms and their impact on projects
This is a great opportunity to have a long-term impact on a fast paced, private equity backed growth business. Some of the core virtues embraced by Scales’ employees include:
- Do the Right Thing
- Act Like An Owner
- Demand Results
- Go Together
- Evolve or Disappear
We offer a competitive compensation package and a comprehensive benefits program including medical benefits, paid vacation and holidays, and 401K matching.
About Scale Microgrids
Scale Microgrids (“Scale”) is a fully integrated distributed energy platform focused on designing, implementing and financing innovative distributed clean energy solutions. Through its leading technical expertise and access to scale capital, Scale helps its customers transition to a decentralized energy future by providing and financing sustainable, cost-effective, and resilient power solutions. Scale has its own proprietary microgrid solution which provides customer with cheaper, cleaner and more reliable power, and also partners with third party developers to acquire and/or finance a broader range of distributed energy assets.
We raised $500MM from Warburg Pincus, a global private equity firm focused on growth investing, to fund our business plan and accelerate growth. We are growing quickly and looking to augment the team with highly motivated entrepreneurial talent.
About Warburg Pincus
Warburg Pincus is a leading global private equity firm with nearly $60 billion in assets under management (AUM). Its active portfolio of more than 180 companies around the globe is highly diversified by stage, sector and geography. Warburg Pincus is a growth investor and an experienced partner to management teams seeking to build durable companies with sustainable value. To learn more about Warburg Pincus, please visit https://www.warburgpincus.com/.
Scale strives to attract and retain a workforce that reflects the composition of our customer base and communities. We are committed to providing a work environment that provides everyone equal access and opportunity to contribute and drive meaningful outcomes. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply and will consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.