The ocean is critical to human and planetary health —but ocean health is in rapid and accelerating decline. We believe that we have the responsibility —and ability —to act.
Running Tide is a global ocean health company. Our fast-growing, multidisciplinary teams of world-class scientists, engineers, and maritime operators, design and implement interventions that rebalance Earth’s carbon cycle, decarbonize global supply chains, restore marine ecosystems, and revitalize coastal communities. Our corporate operations, business development, communications, and policy teams support Running Tide’s front-line workers in scaling our interventions to tackle humanity’s most urgent challenges: restoring ocean health and combating climate change.
Our Agronomy team is developing technology for scalable production, deployment, and offshore growth of modular macroalgal cultivation systems as a central part of Running Tide’s carbon sequestration and ocean health platform. Robust execution and continuous improvement of our algal cultivation processes are critical to realizing this goal.
We’re looking to hire a Cultivation Scientist to assist scale our macroalgae cultivation efforts into our brand new research- and production facility in Akranes, Iceland.
As a Cultivation Scientist you will establish clean macroalgal cultures of various species, help bring online cultivation systems of various sizes up to 1000L photobioreactors, perform R&D work and implement learnings into a standard operation practice.
- Establish and maintain a clean culture collection of various macroalgae species.
- Cultivate macroalgae in systems ranging from flasks to 1000L photobioreactors.
- Take part in extensive R&D work and method development.
- Help the team optimize the flow of biomass through the production facility.
- Characterize effects of various chemical, biological, and physical parameters/inputs on algal growth, development, and carbon uptake.
- Apply lessons learned through operation of cultivation systems to achieve targeted outcomes such as new cultivars and increased biomass productivity.
- Develop macroalgae processing techniques for different types of cultures, as well as substrate inoculation techniques suitable for large scale implementation.
- Write reports on conducted experiments and present to the team.
You Are (or You Have):
- Experience with working in a lab environment.
- Preferably a M.Sc. degree in biotechnology, biology, biochemistry, phycology, biological engineering, marine biology, aquatic chemistry, aquaculture, or related field.
- Capable of independent, creative, critical thinking and problem-solving; effective communication and teamwork skills.
- Experience working with macroalgae is an advantage, but not required.
Our teams operate with utmost persistence. We are tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems, and we are unwavering in our motivation to find a solution. At our core, we are innovators driven to do "more good" rather than "less bad" in the world.
Running Tide is committed to building a diverse team, bringing as many possible perspectives to bear on the unprecedented challenges facing our planet. We are committed to building an inclusive environment where people of all backgrounds can come to do their best work.