If you are passionate about business processes and growing organizations with a strong social interest-focus, Synapse Energy Economics is the place for you! We are a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide energy sector and climate solutions. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse produces expert reports and data analysis for these clients and represents their technical interests in state and federal regulatory proceedings.
Synapse places great value on our staff. We are a high-energy, forward‐thinking, collaborative group with a real passion for the public interest and sustainability.
We are seeking a highly organized and collaborative Business Operations Manager for our project-based consulting company. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, be a proactive problem-solver, and have experience with Salesforce (or a similar CRM) and project-centric ERP systems.
Working with Vice President of the Operations team, this person will manage internal projects and processes for the organization. The Business Operations Manager will also work with consultants to make sure that processes are adhered to on external, client-facing projects. We’re a small team where everyone works together to complete tasks and projects. This person will interact with many aspects of the business and numerous different technologies and tools.
- Oversee and support consulting project-centric operations, including process management and documentation, project management, data management, and reporting
- Coordinate Operations activities, ensure a smooth flow of work, and lead weekly status meetings to monitor progress and establish priorities—along with the Operations management team
- Look for ways to improve corporate governance and process consistency
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, including consulting, finance, contracting, and marketing to ensure success of internal initiatives and client projects—with particular focus on the following functional areas:
- Coordinate with project managers and Proposal & Contracting Lead on day-to-day activities of our project lifecycle
- Collaborate with project teams to ensure project delivery, quality, and customer satisfaction
- Continuously monitor and evaluate project operations to identify areas for improvement and implement process improvements
- Develop/refine documentation and training materials on operations and project management policies and processes
- Troubleshoot challenging project setup, maintenance, and timekeeping in our various systems
- Support the project budgeting process and review project SOWs for financial accuracy
Business Systems & IT:
- Provide system administration and identify, plan, implement, and maintain various business systems.
- Support Salesforce/timekeeping configurations and support, oversee upgrade testing
- Work collaboratively with consultants and Operations to develop business processes that are both efficient and easy to follow.
- Ensure the timely, accurate, and relevant collection and reporting of data to support the smooth running of the organization
- Interface with IT provider regarding support issues and provide support/guidance for Operations and consulting staff
- Contribute to the planning of consulting team capacity (resource planning)
- Oversee facilities, manage issues, and ensure compliance with safety regulations and standards
- Oversee office administration performed by Operations Associate
- Manage procurement alongside Accounting Manager
- Document processes and operating procedures
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- 6+ years of related operations or business systems experience
- Experience with Salesforce or a similar tool or a demonstrable desire to build expert skills with this tool
- A demonstrable passion for working on important social interest topics related to energy, the climate, the environment, or environmental justice
- Exceptional critical thinking and a proactive approach to problem-solving (i.e., fixing small issues before they become big problems)
- Attention to detail with a keen eye for following, developing, monitoring, and improving processes
- Strong project and process management skills
- Comfort working independently in Microsoft Excel using functions such as lookup and pivot tables
- Ability to produce datasets and reports from multiple sources of data
- Experience collaborating across departments to implement feedback, innovate on strategies, and help develop best practices
- Strong personal accountability and commitment to meeting deadlines
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Comfort working with senior management
- Ability to build teams and develop the talent of staff and colleagues
You don't have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed above. If your skills are transferable or you are near the number of years of experience we seek, please apply. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
We will also consider Senior Manager and Senior Lead candidates with more and less experience for this Operations role.
Preferred (Not Required) Qualifications:
- Project Management Office (PMO) experience
- Work experience in energy or the environment
- Experience with FinancialForce or another similar professional services automation or ERP product.
- Experience with one or more of the following Cloud applications: Box, Smartsheet, QuickBooks, RingCentral, Trakstar (or other applicant tracking system), ADP Workforce Now, MS Office Admin, LinkedIn Recruiter
- HR strategy and implementation experience
- Familiarity with financial invoicing tools and consultant time tracking
- Experience managing facilities
- Strong writing, proofreading, and spelling abilities
If you are passionate about business operations and data, enjoy a diverse and fast-paced environment, and love the thrill of pursuing meaningful and important work, this is a great career opportunity for you. We encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity if you are a proactive problem-solver with a passion for process management, project management, and data analysis.
Synapse offers numerous benefits to its employees:
- Generous and flexible PTO
- Flexible work hours and holidays, and the ability to choose a schedule that works for you during business hours
- Medical, dental, and life insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Profit-sharing bonuses
- Extensive professional development opportunities
- Cambridge, MA office space with sit-stand desks, lots of meeting space, indoor bike parking, and plenty of nitro cold-brew and kombucha on tap
This is a hybrid position located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, anticipated to be in the office three days per week. We are looking for a candidate to start working in March or April 2023.
Operations Manager base salary: $85,000 based on a full-time schedule. Our beginning base salary range represents the floor for this position. Actual salaries will vary from the floor based on various factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. Synapse offers competitive market salaries, based on our primary market of nonprofits and government agencies. Our salaries reflect our work for these public interest clients. Note: We will also consider candidates with less experience (Senior Lead) than the Operations Manager described above and candidates with more experience (Senior Manager) for this role.
We are unable to sponsor work visas for this position. Authorization to work in the United States is required to be considered.
Synapse is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals from the LGBTQIA+ community.