Terraformation is restoring the world's forests to help solve climate change and build thriving communities.
Our mission is to help solve climate change by restoring the planet’s forests. We believe that native forest ecosystems are the most effective, safe, and scalable carbon capture systems on Earth. We work with partners all over the world to accelerate successful restoration projects and scale this climate solution.
We’re innovating in both forest tech and green finance. We’ve developed accessible, low-cost solutions to native forest restoration, including off-grid seed banks to store millions of seeds anywhere, open-source software to measure tree health and growth, and accessible forestry training programs. We’re also developing novel financing structures to support local communities as they undertake restoration projects.
We’re a unique mix of foresters, technology experts, and creative communicators brought together by our common mission.
Location: (e.g., Remote; US or Europe)
Salary Range: $100k - $120k, plus equity
Terraformation is hiring a Head of Carbon Strategy to work with our Forestry Partnerships and Development team to lead our internal carbon projects strategy, strengthening our value proposition in the voluntary carbon offset markets.
Terraformation’s overall mission is to accelerate appropriate reforestation at mass scale and speed, to reverse the current climate crisis trends. The Head of Carbon Strategy will play a critical role in support of our mission by:
1. Leading and developing Terraformation’s strategy around internal carbon project processes.
2. Coordinating and developing carbon offset projects that support the restoration of native forests.
This role can be remotely located. The successful candidate must have the ability to regularly attend calls and meet deliverable deadlines that align with their time zone, as well as those of Terraformation’s stakeholders and partners.
- Lead Terraformation’s internal standardized system for creating and maintaining carbon projects
- Act as the focal point to Terraformation’s forestry business development team for carbon strategy, certification processes and reports
- Work closely with the carbon certification bodies and provide strategic council to our forest project team
- Develop a deep expertise on carbon certification today in each market and jurisdiction, as well as trends in approaches to certification in the future; including for other types of emerging certification for ecosystem services beyond carbon credits
- Determine feasibility of projects under different standards/methodologies
- Supervise voluntary carbon credit technical reporting based on AFOLU methodologies following VCS or comparable guidelines, ensuring compliance and making sure Terraformation’s projects stand up to rigorous certification standards
- Work closely with Terraformation’s forestry carbon scientists who ensure emissions removals are correctly calculated.
- Work closely with Terraformation’s partners and landowners
- Bachelor’s Degree in forestry, environmental sciences, or related field
- 5+ years of experience with voluntary carbon offsetting projects (preferably VCS and/or AFOLU)
- Working knowledge of all carbon accreditation bodies
- Experience in forest carbon assessment and project registration (preferably Afforestation, Reforestation, Revegetation (ARR)
- On the ground experience in forestry and restoration work
- Understanding of the drivers and mechanics of climate change, sources of greenhouse gasses, carbon, and energy
- Ability to speak a second or more languages, preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex including gender identity or expression, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, credit history, genetic history, arrest and court record, military service, reproductive health decision, domestic or sexual violence victim status if the domestic or sexual violence victim provides notice to Terraformation of such status or Terraformation has actual knowledge of such status, or any other protected category recognized by Hawaii and federal laws.