C-Zero is a hard-tech startup located in Santa Barbara, CA, that is developing a technology for decarbonizing natural gas. The company’s technology uses high temperatures to break down methane, (the primary molecule in natural gas) into hydrogen and solid carbon. C-Zero’s hydrogen can be used to decarbonize a wide range of industries including ammonia production, gasoline and diesel fuel, electric generation, process heat, and fuel cell vehicles, and has the potential to address 75% of global CO2 emissions. Are you excited about working to develop a technology that can support the energy transition? Check out this role and join our team!
- Independently execute projects on the design, fabrication, and operation of targeted experiments to provide information required to design integrated process units for the conversion of natural gas into solid carbon and hydrogen.
- Support the Sr Engineers on the R&D team with execution of large scale experimental campaigns
- Work with the engineering team on design and modeling of process units to ensure successful scale up of the technology
- Project manage external engineering firms to manufacture and test components and reactor or other experimental systems
- Develop CAD models for components and process units
- Perform heat transfer, chemical process modeling, and techno-economic analysis using industry software tools
- Conducts research to develop new and improved manufacturing processes and make recommendations into the development of the technology based on findings.
- Determines most effective arrangement of unit operations and recommends for approval a path forward to compromise between process requirements, economic evaluation, operator effectiveness, and physical and health hazards
- Other duties as assigned
- BS/MS with 1-7 years industrial experience or PhD with 1-5 years industrial experience in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field
- 1-3 years experience with performing heat transfer and chemical process modeling
- 1-3 years experience with performing techno-economic analysis
- Experience with additive and advanced manufacturing techniques
- Background in design and operation of high temperature processing equipment
- Experience with CAD, chemical modeling, and advance computational software
- Proficiency and experience engaging with engineering, procurement, and construction firms
- Experience in the stages of technology development life cycle specifically in laboratory R&D development
- Experience with high temperature and/or high-pressure chemical conversion systems operations or modeling.
- Hands-on operation and construction of generic lab equipment (i.e. furnaces, mass flow controllers, Swagelok fittings) preferred.
- Some experience or understanding of in-situ and ex-situ lab analytics (i.e. GC, MS, SEM) preferred
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions, handle delicate parts and equipment, and work with hazardous materials.