The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change. Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.We have already attained a market leading position and KrakenFlex is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.Optimisation of the operation of energy assets underpins several of our business offerings. Maintaining and developing our optimisation capability is crucial to the growth of the business. Hence we are looking for an exceptional candidate to join our data and optimisation team to leverage their deep knowledge of mathematical optimisation techniques and tools to eke out marginal gains for our existing solutions and develop new solutions.Our ideal candidate would have a mathematical background and have a passion for solving complex real world problems. We operate a highly agile development approach, where you will collaborate closely with developers, product managers, and customers to develop and apply cutting-edge tools and techniques.
What you'll do
- Develop methods to assess and improve optimisation performance for various use cases
- Collaborate regularly with colleagues to develop novel algorithms for managing energy assets
- Contribute to the design and development of Kraken Flex’s virtual-power-plant modelling and optimisation framework
- Disseminate insights across the organisation
- Help define data science best practices and engage with colleagues to share information, grow skills, and provide feedback.
- Collaborate regularly with colleagues with many different professional specialities to create innovative solutions that delight our customers and colleagues
What you'll need
- Experience in implementing optimisation techniques, particularly MILP techniques
- Experience with some key components of a conventional data science toolchain: notebooks, Python, pandas, numpy, et al
- A drive to get things done in a collaborative, agile development environment
- An interest in working with data, both processing and analysing
- A proven ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical and multitasking skills
- Willingness to continually update and develop skill set in line with changes in professional best practice
It would be great if you had
- Experience in using a wide range of solvers (e.g., CBC, Gurobi, FICO Xpress). Knowledge of their strengths and weaknesses.
- Experience with formal statistical procedures: linear modelling, hypothesis testing, bayesian methods
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud providers
- Experience analysing large volumes of data
- Experience in software development
- An interest in storytelling with data, and a desire to explain and craft a clear message from findings
- Experience in the energy industry
Why else you'll love it here
Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
Ideally you will be based in the Greater Manchester and happy to come into the office a couple of days per week! But we appreciate that things have changed and flexibility is at the top of everyone's agenda, so if you would rather be remote please let us know. If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.