Volta Trucks, a hypergrowth European Electric Truck Manufacturer, is looking for a HV Engineer to join our Powertrain Department. This is a hybrid role split between our head offices in Reading, remote working and our contract manufacturing partners facility in Austria.
What you will do:
You will work as part of a small team supporting the development of robust and efficient electric powertrain and ancillary high voltage systems for Volta Trucks. You will work throughout the product development lifecycle to support the development of HV components and systems.
The scope of this role may include working on e-drive, energy storage, and high-voltage ancillary systems, as well as the associated control, electrical and thermal systems.
- Work as the responsible engineer for the test and validation of the HV system within a system engineering process
- Act as the Responsible engineer, hands-on, to diagnose and resolve vehicle and test asset issues
- Lead the generation of HV test cases
- Test Powertrain HV components at vehicle/HIL level
- Liaise with suppliers and project engineers to ensure successful delivery of components into the vehicle programme
- Support packaging engineers to ensure that component/system installation and integration requirements are met, including HV connectors and harness requirements
- Work hands-on with prototype vehicles during the development programme to ensure that the vehicle meets its attribute targets and functionality at all build and test phases
- Contribute to all aspects of the development life cycle including requirements, regulatory standards, attribute definition, FMEA, DVP, and certification testing
We would like you to have:
- 4 years+ automotive engineering experience in EV or hybrid powertrain development
- Strong hands-on testing experience both at vehicle and HIL level
- Detailed understanding of HV systems and validation/testing techniques
- Good technical knowledge across a wide range of HV Battery and Power electronics failure modes
- Good understanding of vehicle packaging concepts and powertrain systems application requirements
- Broad understanding of the vehicle development process and lifecycle
- Hands-on approach to engineering, practical and enthusiastic
Our culture and Valued Behaviours
- We are a scale-up, so structures and processes can be new and constantly evolving.
- We are a diverse business, from many nationalities and backgrounds.
- We really value our people. We have a flexible & remote work environment and a great benefits package & pension scheme.
- You will have a genuine opportunity to make an impact on the business and society as a whole.
- You should closely share our values of safety, sustainability, and electrification.
- Be adaptable, resilient, and open to change
Urban delivery is currently one of the most polluting activities in our cities. Traditional diesel trucks continue to pollute the air, and cause health and safety challenges to residents, while bringing necessary goods into city centres, because there hasn’t been an alternative. Until now.
Volta Trucks has developed the first ground-up full-electric commercial vehicle, paired with an innovative and highly disruptive business model. Founded in 2019, and having raised €300M of funding to date, we are bringing the full-electric Volta Zero to market at industry-leading pace and scale to help accelerate the transition to a sustainable future.