Volta Trucks, a hypergrowth European Electric Truck Manufacturer, is looking for a Manager to join our Vehicle Development Workshop. This is a hybrid role based predominantly at Volta’s test and development facilities at MIRA, Nuneaton with occasional remote working from home.
This is a unique opportunity to join an ambitious scale-up where you will have the opportunity to contribute to the manufacturing strategy for a forward thinking, rapidly expanding business.
What you will do:
Lead the vehicle development operations team of technicians, test drivers & vehicle software integration & diagnostics engineers and manage the workshop facilities. Reporting to the Director of Vehicle Integration, you will be responsible for all H&S elements of workshop operations, preparing and maintaining development vehicles for validation testing, certification and attribute assessments.
- Manage preparation of and on-going maintenance of all development vehicle assets for validation tests, certification and attribute assessments
- Plan and execute work requests raised for vehicle preparation by timely allocation of work requests to technicians and follow through of task execution to completion
- Sign off approval of all vehicle work carried out by technicians and vehicle shakedowns after preparation and maintenance
- Plan and manage the allocation of test drivers for both track and on-road vehicle testing
- Lead root cause analysis of vehicle related problems and vehicle software diagnostics
- Manage all elements of H&S related to vehicle workshop activities, track and on-road vehicle testing, including driver hours addressing Risk Assessments and defining Method Statements for work activities
- Support the definition of vehicle development operations budget and ongoing maintenance of budget in terms of departmental spend
- Mentor technicians and drivers, define and maintain skills matrix and identify requirements for skills enhancement to develop and nurture talent
- Define and maintain facilities requirements on operating space, equipment, PPE to support vehicle development programs
- Maintain a log of all equipment assets, reviewing and executing regular equipment calibration and safety testing
- Represent the department in program review meetings on timing and deliverables
We would like you to have:
- University degree in a mechanical / electrical engineering topic
- 12+ years of experience in vehicle development and recent experience of managing vehicle workshops
- Previous experience in the utility/commercial/heavy vehicle sector and xEV projects is advantageous
- HGV cat C driving licence
- Proven experience of managing H&S elements with ability to define and establish Risk assessments, Method statements
- Leadership skill of project management and task planning in a complex, multi-disciplinary environment
- Expertise of delivering projects to demanding cost, time, and quality requirements
- Strong team leadership and interpersonal skills, cross cultural understanding, organising, and coordinating ability
- Ability to lead and develop a strong team.
- Proven problem solver with good planning skills, logical reasoning, and attention to detail
- Positive and passionate, good team player
Our culture and Valued Behaviours
We are a scale-up, so structures and processes can be new and constantly evolving.
We are a diverse business, from many nationalities and backgrounds.
We really value our people. We have a flexible & remote work environment and a great benefits package & pension scheme.
- You will have a genuine opportunity to make an impact on the business and society as a whole.
- You should closely share our values of safety, sustainability, and electrification.
- Be adaptable, resilient, and open to change
Urban delivery is currently one of the most polluting activities in our cities. Traditional diesel trucks continue to pollute the air, and cause health and safety challenges to residents, while bringing necessary goods into city centres, because there hasn’t been an alternative. Until now.
Volta Trucks has developed the first ground-up full-electric commercial vehicle, paired with an innovative and highly disruptive business model. Founded in 2019, and having raised €300M of funding to date, we are bringing the full-electric Volta Zero to market at industry-leading pace and scale to help accelerate the transition to a sustainable future.