What Makes Motiv Special?
Through a radically different approach to building electric trucks that combines our own patented IP with strategic partnerships, we have developed a line of all-electric medium-duty truck and bus chassis, the Motiv EPIC platform, which are used in a range of truck and bus applications. Our next-generation power management electronics and software make it easy to integrate new technology components into new vehicles and applications.
The ideal candidate will want to be a member of the 2+ ton commercial truck EV Industry leader, with millions of current customer driven miles and tens of millions of pounds delivered in the US and Canada while reducing millions of CO2 pounds of emissions. You will be joining us at a critical inflection point in our growth, when, in addition to launching our sixth generation technology, we are significantly expanding our products, capacity and market volume.
Motiv’s core values are deep passion, curiosity, collaboration, customer focus and “owning it.” If those are values you share, we would love to talk with you about joining our team and taking your career to the next level in one of the hottest technology sectors. To succeed in this job, you must be able to perform the duties listed below – and others as required.
We are seeking a smart and enthusiastic Manufacturing Process Engineer to join Motiv Power Systems in transforming an industry. In this role, you will report to the Manufacturing Manager and will be in Hamtramck, Michigan. You will be a key part of a multifaceted team that designs, develops, launches, and manufactures Motiv products. You will also collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to improve our electronic Powertrain Control Systems and ensure effective establishment and operation of manufacturing processes related to cutting edge EV technology.
Communication is highly important - excellent oral and written communication skills are required. If you are passionate, self-motivated, a team player, and can consistently deliver strong manufacturing process outcomes, we are interested in speaking with you.
- Provide proactive and reactive leadership to identify, troubleshoot manufacturing issues including root cause identification and cross-functional design and implementation of corrective actions including process or product design improvements
- Lead and coach production personnel on process, equipment, and analytical approach to problem solving and continuous improvement
- Maintain manufacturing work instructions for all chassis builds
- Support Chassis builds at assembly facilities with continuous improvement initiatives
- Support prototype build events and provide input to Engineer on Manufacturability & assembly instructions
- Work with partners, suppliers, customers and Motiv engineers to develop new electric truck applications
- Lead formal and timely manufacturability (DfM/DfA/DfS) review on all new products and changes
- Develop new processes based on new technology requirements
- Assist manufacturing in setting up lines and cells to build new and existing products incorporating lean manufacturing and six sigma quality practices
- Coordinate with Product Engineering (Mechanical Manufacturing Design Engineer) to assure that all Engineering models/drawings and specifications are adequate to accurately define all manufacturing and quality requirements to produce a product that meets design requirements
- Coordinate with engineering on all functional test requirements of existing and new products
- Aid manufacturing operations including troubleshooting of assembly issue, special testing, and assistance in identifying root cause
- Recommend formal corrective actions to production or product design improvements after performing analysis
- Assure that customers receive a product that meets all the quality and reliability standards
- Drive continuous improvement activities in a data driven way to improve safety, quality, efficiency, and cost
- Utilize industrial engineering tactics to balance the lines to ensure flow and meet takt time expectations based on demand and ensure overall cost optimization
- Perform all other duties as deemed necessary by the department manager
- Proven expertise in applying necessary tools such as Process development, tooling and fixture design/implementation, Lean Manufacturing, DFMEA/PFMEA, Error Proofing, Control Plans, 8D problem solving, APQP launch process, MES/ERP systems and CAD Software – Solidworks and CATIA
- Practical expertise of mechanical and electrical manufacturing processes including assembly, testing and hands-on electro-mechanical trouble shooting, plant facility and equipment layout and implementation
- Analytical approach to problem solving, while managing multiple issues at one time and adjust to rapidly changing priorities and schedules
- Ability to apply independent judgement to identify and resolve problems. This includes setting and prioritizing goals with minimum supervision and leading customer satisfaction with minimum vehicle
- The personal traits of a “Change Leader” able to effectively lead and work within a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively work with a wide range of stakeholders including customers, dealerships, body builders, sales & marketing, engineering, manufacturing, and supply chain
- Working knowledge of quality operating systems, ISO TS16949, and engineering change control processes
- Knowledge of mechanical and electrical manufacturing processes including assembly and testing
- Hands on experience with electro-mechanical troubleshooting
- Must have the personal traits of a “Change Leader”
- Ability to work and lead effectively within a team
- Experience in a Lean Manufacturing concepts and continuous improvement efforts
- Application of mistake and error proofing engineering
- Process development, tooling and fixture design/implementation, quality troubleshootin
- Participate in design reviews - DFM/DFA
- Involvement with electrical test equipment, plant facility, and equipment layout
Education and Experience:
- BS in Mechanical, Electrical, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering or related technical field with knowledge in the application of basic engineering principles, theories, and techniques
- Minimum 5+ years of relevant manufacturing experience
- Strong experience with fittings, hoses, and hardline development (routing & retainment) is a plus
- Advanced knowledge of electric mobility including components like high voltage batteries and systems like cutting edge control technology, automotive systems and troubleshooting procedures
- Ability to translate own expertise in a practical and easily implementable way with maximum impact using the minimum of resources or formal processes
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Be willing to travel 10 – 15% or as required per year
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
- $75,000.00-$112,000.00 (Salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and training.)
This is a regular full-time position based in Hamtramck, Michigan.
Candidates only please; no recruiters.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, Health & Dependent Care FSA, 401(k) with company match, company paid Basic Life and AD&D, employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail.
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front.
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Motiv Power Systems is the medium-duty commercial electric vehicle (EV) leader that frees fleets from fossil fuels. Founded in 2009, the Bay Area-based, commercial EV company draws on 14 years of experience to create accessible, cost-effective, and innovative EV technology for organizations that are the backbone of the economy.
Motiv has more than 150 all-electric trucks and buses on the road with businesses of all sizes, across a broad spectrum of industries, including linen, parcel, food, hospitality, airports, higher education, pupil transportation, and more. Motiv vehicles operate at over 98 percent uptime, and have logged more than two million miles, while also offering fleets up to 85 percent operation and maintenance cost savings. Motiv’s proven EV technology provides operators with a healthier, smoother, and more profitable driving experience.