Energy Markets Analyst (Hybrid)
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Salary Range: $110,000 to $125,000
Reports to: Director, Product Development
About the Company:
NineDot's name derives from the classic mathematical puzzle for sparking out-of-the-box solutions. As a leading community-scale, clean energy developer with a growing portfolio of projects across a range of technologies, NineDot Energy is creating innovative energy solutions that support a more resilient electric grid, deliver economic savings, address environmental justice, and reduce carbon emissions. We plan to develop, build and operate more than 400 MW of clean energy systems by 2026 that will strengthen the local power grid infrastructure and provide clean, reliable and resilient power to tens of thousands of New York households and businesses. This is all in support of New York State’s mission to achieve 100% clean energy by 2040.
With the backing of the Carlyle Group - one of the largest private investors in renewable energy - NineDot is rapidly expanding its core team to scale its energy storage pipeline and continue innovating new products (i.e. vehicle-to-grid, community energy, etc.) to advance the decarbonization of New York’s grid. This is an exciting opportunity to build a platform from the ground-up with a world-class team of developers and innovators. NineDot is committed to building a company that exemplifies diversity, equity and inclusion values in its team culture, as well as business practices and community engagement.
We are seeking an experienced Energy Markets Analyst to join our team and help us with the identifying, analyzing and influencing the design of energy marketplaces as it relates to NineDot's product strategy. As an Energy Market Analyst, you will be responsible for analyzing market trends and data, identifying potential opportunities and risks, and providing insights and recommendations to support our business strategy. You will support the company's participation in technical working groups to gather key business intelligence and help shape regulatory program design that unlocks the value of NineDot product line. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the energy market and its regulatory framework, as well as experience in data analysis and modeling.
- Review and analyze tariffs, rate cases, and regulatory policies in the utility, transmission and regional energy marketplaces as they relate to battery energy storage systems
- Maintain and grow understanding of power system operation, generation dispatch, energy market rules, system planning and distribution tariffs in several ISO’s but particularly in NYISO
- Follow and summarize key battery-storage related regulatory developments in the New York Department of Public Service (DPS) and other regions of interest
- As assigned, analyze energy market prices, loads, weather, fuel prices, and transmission systems to provide metrics and actionable recommendations on product strategies
- Play leading role in regulatory policy development on DPS dockets such as implementation plans and tariff rate cases by providing written arguments and analyses that help advocacy and education efforts
- Actively participate in select trade groups and technical working groups to gather market information and help shape smart DER friendly policies
- Perform data acquisition, data reporting and chart creation, primarily using Excel and supplemental scripting and GIS tools
- Manipulate large datasets and determine correlations and relationships between potential energy market drivers, prices and events.
- Assist internal and external stakeholders in understanding their utility tariff and also the supply and delivery components on the electricity markets
- Develop and maintain relationships with regulatory agencies, utilities, and other stakeholders in the energy market to stay informed about market developments and influence policy decisions
- Collaborate with the Project Development team to identify and test potential markets for battery energy storage systems and evaluate market entry strategies
- Analyze and evaluate the performance of existing battery energy storage systems and identify opportunities for optimization or improvement
- Develop and maintain energy market models, databases, and tools to support business decision-making and share insights with the broader team
- Stay up-to-date with advances in energy storage technologies and evaluate their potential impact on the energy market and the company's business strategy
- Support the development of marketing materials, including presentations, reports, and white papers, to communicate the company's expertise in the energy market and battery energy storage systems
- Represent the company in industry events and conferences as necessary
- All other duties as assigned
Competencies for Success
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; conducts excellent and honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answer.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Able to relate well to all individuals within and beyond the organization; builds appropriate rapport along with constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact.
- Perseverance - Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Dealing With Ambiguity - Can effectively cope with change and shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture.
- Creativity - Capable of coming up with new and unique ideas; easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions.
- Technical Learning - Picks up on technical things quickly, capable of learning new skills and knowledge, good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge.
- Intellectual Horsepower - Demonstrated ability to deal with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable,and agile.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Economics, Business, Engineering, or a related field
- 3+ years of experience in energy market analysis, preferably in battery energy storage or renewable energy industry
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with experience in data analysis and modeling
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex information to diverse audiences
- Solid understanding of energy markets and regulatory frameworks
- Experience with energy market models and tools, such as PowerSimm or Aurora, is a plus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Willingness to learn and adapt to new technologies and market trends
- Passion for renewable energy and sustainability
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender expression, gender identity, sex, age, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran and military status, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status of an individual or that individual’s associates or relatives that is protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Some of NineDot roles require that individuals be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to exemptions for medical or religious reasons, as well as any other reason required by applicable law or order. Should you be selected for an interview, your recruiter will provide additional information.