About the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES): Our mission is to secure a safe and stable climate by accelerating the transition to a thriving, just, and resilient low-carbon economy. We are widely recognized as an influential voice on climate issues, a trusted convener, and a credible source of expertise and analysis. We work closely with international climate negotiators; federal, state, and local policymakers; executives of Fortune 500 businesses; and a wide range of other stakeholders to advance strong policy and action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, promote clean energy, and strengthen resilience to climate impacts. C2ES is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization.
Our organizational values: We are ambitious and practical, advancing effective solutions that push the boundaries of the achievable. We are open-minded and inclusive, seeking out and considering a wide range of voices, views, and approaches. We are people-focused, dedicated to improving human well-being and recognizing that respect and empathy are central to success. We are one team, working collaboratively, communicating openly, making ourselves accessible to each other, and treating one another with kindness and respect.
Position Summary: The Senior Manager, Corporate Low-Carbon Transition Planning will manage C2ES’s new three-year project focused on developing and sharing best practices for how companies develop corporate carbon transition plans and communicate those plans to policymakers and other key stakeholder audiences. This role will convene companies to understand how different sectors are developing their transition plans, including how companies are reducing their greenhouse gas emissions to achieve their climate targets and how they are measuring and addressing their climate related financial risks. The Senior Manager will report to the Vice President, Business Engagement. This role provides an exciting opportunity to help companies across diverse industry sectors develop low-carbon transition plans around their efforts to decarbonize their operations and supply chains, reduce their climate-related financial risks, and foster lower carbon goods and services.
Position Status: NEW VACANCY
- Manage day to day implementation of C2ES’s project to support the development of comprehensive and credible corporate low-carbon transition plans: Responsibilities include:
- Conduct company and stakeholder outreach and engagement.
- Convene meetings and workshops and facilitate dialogue among companies across sectors to share best practices in developing corporate low-carbon transition plans; additionally, convene a separate working group for the oil and gas sector.
- Develop meeting agendas, oversee meeting logistics, organize external speakers.
- Conduct and oversee primary research (i.e., individual interviews with companies) and secondary research on how companies are developing their low-carbon transition plans.
- Road test existing guidance on low-carbon transition plans from different NGOs and stakeholder groups with companies.
- Engage relevant NGOs and other stakeholder groups on new insights and project findings to build knowledge across the stakeholder community.
- Help develop and implement communications strategy, working with communications team and Vice President, Business Engagement to develop products to engage and educate key stakeholders and policymakers.
- Integrate insights from C2ES’s corporate climate resilience efforts into companies’ low-carbon transition plans, working with the Director, Climate Resilience and Sustainability.
- Manage project budget.
- Manage project consultants and/or interns.
- Build out the project strategy over the next three years to deliver interim and long-term project outcomes, working with the Vice President, Business Engagement.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on corporate low-carbon transition plans?to?diverse external audiences--including members of C2ES's Business Environmental Leadership Council and policymakers—and internal C2ES teams working on voluntary carbon markets, climate resilience, US climate policy, international initiatives, and broader business engagement.
- Contribute as needed to other C2ES policy-related and program-related work on climate risk disclosure and corporate greenhouse gas accounting, including comments on proposed regulations.
- Represent C2ES in conferences, meetings, and other forums, and in interactions with stakeholders from government, business, and civil society, as appropriate.
- Author reports, policy briefs, blog posts, and other publications.
- Develop presentations, talking points for senior leadership,?webpages?and?other?online materials on corporate carbon transition plans, corporate climate goals, and climate-related financial disclosure.
- Support C2ES events, including workshops and meetings involving the Business Environmental Leadership Council, NGOs, government agencies, media groups, and/or academic?institutions.
- Manage or support additional projects as needed.
- Some travel required, up to 15 percent.
- Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Council (JEDI-C) expectations – All staff are expected to participate in monthly JEDI-C All staff meetings. During these meetings staff can interact and learn about different topics provided by the JEDI-C.
- Demonstrate commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Complete company trainings assigned during on boarding and on a yearly basis. Some specialize training will be required as well for Management positions.
- Excellent skills in managing the full lifecycle of a multi-year project, including convening and engaging stakeholders; conducting research and analysis; synthesizing findings and authoring written reports; overseeing project logistics and administration, managing project budget, and managing consultants.
- Expertise in corporate greenhouse gas accounting and in the TCFD framework on climate-related-financial risks.
- Familiarity with science-based targets and, generally, how companies develop their climate targets and strategies.
- Experience working with companies in one more industry sectors on developing and implementing their climate initiatives, such as inventorying their greenhouse gas emissions, developing climate targets, and/or developing a climate risk assessment.
- Strong skills in program strategy development and implementation.
- Good networks and connections across companies and NGOs in the corporate climate and sustainability field.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Humility, collegiality, a sense of humor, and a deep spirit of collaboration.
- Bachelor's degree plus 8+ years' of relevant experience OR Master's degree in environmental management, economics, public policy, law, or related field plus 5+ years of relevant experience.
Employment Status: Full time, benefits-eligible; exempt from overtime.
Reporting to: Vice President, Business Engagement.
Travel, Time & Location Requirements: Location may be in the Washington, DC area or remote, based in the United States; if remote, physical presence in the main office is expected at least 5 days per quarter. Light travel expected for domestic conferences and meetings.
- Health Insurance. C2ES covers 80% of the health insurance premiums.
- Dental Insurance. C2ES covers 100% of the dental premiums.
- Vision Insurance: Employee covers the total cost of this plan.
- Long Term Disability and Short Term Disability.
- Group Life insurance and Voluntary Life insurance.
- Leave Time: New employees start with 3 weeks' vacation per year.
- Sick time: up to 10 days per year.
- Personal Leave: Up to Two personal leave days.
- FMLA Leave: Case by case is evaluated by the Supervisor and HR.
- Holidays: C2ES observes 12 holidays during the year. Additionally, the organization closes the last week of year.
- Flexible environment.
- Hybrid scheduled if local to area.
We also are fully committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. We believe we will only be effective in developing and advocating for climate solutions if we have a diverse range of voices and perspectives represented within C2ES, in our work, and among our partners. C2ES is committed to creating and growing a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and among the stakeholders we collaborate with and convene. By fostering this culture, we can enhance our work and amplify our impact. We encourage individuals of all races, ethnicities, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, sexual identities, and abilities to apply for this position. For more on C2ES's DEIJ policy, visit: https://www.c2es.org/about/diversity-equity-inclusion-and-justice.
Salary range: $95,000-$120,000