EnergyHub empowers utilities and their customers to create a clean, distributed energy future. Our platform lets consumers turn their smart thermostats, electric cars, water heaters, and other products into virtual power plants (VPPs) that keep the grid stable and enable higher penetration of solar and wind power. Our mission is to keep the grid running reliably while enabling more renewable energy and reducing reliance on fossil fuel. Today we work with over 60 utilities across North America and manage nearly 1M distributed energy resources (DERs).
The Director, International Business Development will lead our international market development strategy and resulting GTM plan to grow our business outside of North America. You’ll develop a pipeline of energy retailers, DSOs, and partners and generate, nurture and close deals across prioritized markets. You will also dig deep into the regulatory/market landscape to understand country-specific and market-specific policies regarding flexibility, build partners in advocacy, and develop and advocate for a POV that supports EnergyHub’s business interests. And lastly, you will work in partnership with our senior leadership team and across our business development, delivery and technical teams to design and deliver customer-oriented value propositions that expand our client base and help us gain market share in new territories.
What you'll do
- Rapidly evaluate international market dynamics across customer segments, device classes, grid operators, and policy making authorities. Knowledge of the regulatory landscape and key economic characteristics of each market to develop a clear view of EnergyHub’s potential path forward outside of North America. Analyze the size of the opportunities and the risks.
- Set the strategy and roadmap, in conjunction with the leadership team, for international expansion of EnergyHub’s products and services, including a process for qualifying opportunities in new markets.
- Build the opportunity pipeline - identify and develop valuable stakeholder relationships with potential customers and device partners and influence their decision-making processes. Establish pilots and early test programs/projects.
- Quickly develop a local regulatory/markets strategy, build an advocacy network, and begin to advocate for policies that support EnergyHub’s desired business model for flexibility.
- Work with internal teams to develop our client value proposition for the international market, ensuring value creation for the business, our partners and potential clients.
- Take existing pricing and partnership models and tailor them for new markets based on your knowledge of the market conditions and needs.
- Discern, define, and provide functional requirements from the market to internal teams, coordinating with product and product marketing and advocating for what we need to develop to succeed in initial new markets.
- Coordinate with internal team members to respond to RFIs and RFPs, build presentations for potential clients and partnerships and develop the necessary tools to support early wins.
What you’ll contribute
- Success at proactively and independently driving business opportunities, closing deals and generating recurring revenue in a SaaS company
- Knowledge of grid/utility markets, as well as grid-edge technologies, such as, EE, DR, storage, EVs etc.
- Comprehension of the regulatory environment and how to work within it - ability to quickly find and grasp relevant policies and frameworks and build influence with stakeholders
- Experience assessing product fit vs customer needs in the form of discovery and qualification with new business opportunities
- Experience developing market-leading customer engagement propositions (RFIs, RFPs), plans and upskilling the business for successful delivery
- Experience being hands on in legal and pricing negotiations
- Proven success delivering on outstanding prospect relationships
- Ability to engender a high level of confidence from internal and external stakeholders
- Experience building something from zero to launch
What you bring to EnergyHub
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to summarize complex problems and recommend concise plans of action
- Effective risk management and negotiation skills - able to balance opposing demands for resources to ensure best overall outcome
- Proven ability to build relationships at every level of small and large organizations, especially the c suite
- Ability to digest, translate, develop and advocate for technical requirements and policy/regulatory positions to support an existing (or develop a new) business model
- Eye for detail, with a very clear and organized approach to relationship management and delivery
- Ability to prioritize work and execute many projects and tasks in parallel
- Intense desire to be on leading edge of the market and technology
- Deep passion for changing the way we use energy on the electric grid
The salary range for this position is $145,000 - $175,000. Base pay offered may vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills and experience.
Why work for EnergyHub?
- Collaborate with outstanding people: Our employees work hard, do great work, and enjoy collaborating and learning from each other.
- Make an immediate impact: New employees can expect to be given real responsibility for bringing new technologies to the marketplace. You are empowered to perform as soon as you join the team!
- Gain well rounded experience: EnergyHub offers a diverse and dynamic environment where you will get the chance to work directly with executives and develop expertise across multiple areas of the business.
- Work with the latest technologies: You’ll gain exposure to a broad spectrum of IoT, SaaS and machine learning challenges, including distributed fault-tolerance, device control optimization, and process modeling to support scalable interaction with disparate downstream APIs.
- Be part of something important: Help create the future of how energy is produced and consumed. Make a positive impact on our climate.
- Focus on fun: EnergyHub places high value on our team culture. Happy hours and holiday parties are important to us, but what’s also important is how our employees feel every single day.
EnergyHub is a growing enterprise software company that works with the most forward-thinking companies in smart energy. Our platform lets consumers turn their smart thermostats, electric cars, water heaters, and other products into virtual power plants that keep the grid stable and enable higher penetration of solar and wind power. We work on technology that already provides energy and cost savings to millions of people through partnerships with the leading companies in the Internet of Things.
EnergyHub offers a generous benefits package including 100% paid medical for employees and a 401(k) with employer match. We offer a casual environment, the flexibility to set your own schedule, a fully stocked fridge and pantry, free Citi Bike membership, secure bike rack, gym subsidy, paid parental leave, and an education assistance program.
EnergyHub is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In connection with your application, we collect information that identifies, reasonably relates to or describes you (“Personal Information”). The categories of Personal Information that we may collect include your name, government-issued identification number(s), email address, mailing address, other contact information, emergency contact information, employment history, educational history, and demographic information. We collect and use those categories of Personal Information about you for human resources and other business management purposes, including identifying and evaluating you as a candidate for potential or future employment or future positions, recordkeeping in relation to recruiting and hiring, conducting analytics, and ensuring compliance with applicable legal requirements and Company policies.