Reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer, this role is responsible for building the accounting and back-office infrastructure for Generate’s Fund business. The Fund Controller will lead and manage all the accounting, operations, and financial reporting requirements for each of Generate’s Funds. This is a highly visible position that requires this person to develop and maintain close cross functional relationships with Finance, FP&A, Capital Markets, Investor Relations, Treasury, Tax, Legal and the Investment team.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as the Fund Controller:
- Provide strategic leadership and vision to Generate’s Fund business financial structure and organization.
- Create and manage the accounting operations and infrastructure for Generate’s Fund business.
- Oversee the timely and accurate completion of the monthly close in collaboration with external fund administration, internal stakeholders, and operating platforms.
- Review monthly general ledger activity and resolve discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Review and authorize payments and cash disbursements.
- Collaborate with operating platforms, asset/investment management teams, and corporate departments to prepare financial and cash flow forecasts and quarterly management reporting packages. Work closely with Data and Technology, Compliance, and Finance teams to ensure proper controls are in place.
- Partner with FP&A to prepare the consolidated annual budget that’s presented to senior management.
- Lead the preparation of annual financial statements and coordinate external audits.
- Act as the point of contact on technical US GAAP accounting matters for fund activities.
- Stay current with new accounting technical standards, how they impact financial reporting and keep senior management abreast of new developments.
- Partner closely with Corporate Accounting on GP accounting and Fund accounting consolidation activities, including working with other accounting departments in the Generate company portfolio to implement processes that ensure timely reporting at the parent level.
- Demonstrate continued rigor around compliance, systems and controls and a focus on operational excellence.
- Establishing current and long-range financial objectives, execution plans, and policies in conjunction with measurable return on investment benchmarks and objectives.
- Serve as a mentor to others, helping to coach and develop cross functional team members.
- Participate in talent recruitment and development efforts within the Finance function.
- Aid with other ad hoc projects, including helping with various systems and process enhancements and other efficiency initiatives.
Candidate qualifications & core characteristics:
- A demonstrated passion for our commitment to our mission.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting is required.
- Professional Accounting Certification (CPA, CA, or ACA) is required.
- Experience in or a sound understanding of middle-market private equity space.
- Experience with M&A and integration.
- Typically, 8+ years of experience in alternative investment management industry (Private Equity, Hedge Fund, Venture Capital, Real Estate).
- Big 4 public accounting experience and/or Fund Administration experience is a plus.
- Experience with portfolio company valuations and/or management of valuation teams is a plus.
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting ambiguity and new challenges.
- Intellectual agility and curiosity, superb analytical skills; problem-solving is your default mode.
- Able to influence others on important, complex, and non-routine accounting/reporting issues.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including empathy, intuition, and listening.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment and produce accurate results.
- Effective listening skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English is required.
- Unimpeachable integrity and glowing references.
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility, comfort with risk, recognition that “perfect can be the enemy of the good”
Generate’s compensation packages are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Salary decisions take into account a wide variety of factors including, but not limited to: skill sets, experience and training, licensure and certifications, geographic location, and other business and organizational needs. A reasonable estimate of the base salary range for this role is $190,000 - $225,000. In addition, the compensation package may include a discretionary bonus and other benefits, including health care benefits, retirement benefits, benefits permitting paid days off (including sick leave, parental leave, and paid time off or vacation benefits), and other benefits that must be reported for federal tax purposes. It is not typical for an individual to be hired at the top of this range.
Generate Capital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.