About Universe Energy
We make grid batteries from used EVs with robots to electrify the world.
Our mission is to scale battery reuse as the largest source of the next billion batteries. The problem is that batteries are challenging to reuse today because supply is constrained by expensive shipping, non-standard testing, and dangerous disassembly by hand. We ship used batteries, test how good they still are, and dismantle them at 50% of the cost. We do this by automating the process for all types of EV batteries using machine learning and robotics. Then we turn them into cheap grid storage or make raw materials for new cells. Our vision is to make the next billion batteries out of used batteries as its largest manufacturer. It will slash the need for mining, manufacturing & global supply chains to prevent 7 Gtons of CO2e emissions to power a truly clean energy revolution.
The Bonobo Robot
To achieve this mission, we build cognitive robots called Bonobo that automatically diagnose, discharge and disassemble EV batteries using ML-based analytics and intelligent robotics. The first-generation robotic system will automatically assess the battery’s state of health, perform safe discharging, and remove covers from arbitrary battery packs (500kg). It then disassembles these batteries from the pack level (500 kg) down to the module- level (25 kg). Bonobo can take batteries apart 4x faster and safer than a human at 6x the throughput, leading to 50% lower unit economics.
You will conceptualize, architect, engineer, and deploy algorithms that allow the robot to see and recognize the configuration of EV battery packs. The perception system then tells the robot what it sees and identifies parts like connectors, welding seams, and modules. Then it instructs the Bonobo robot how to take these apart. You will then validate the software with what the cameras and sensors on the Bonobo preceive.
How you will contribute
- Develop production-level & robust computer vision modules for classification, counting, tracking, 3D reconstruction, camera calibration, and segmentation.
- Research and implement machine perception & visual understanding of battery systems to enable counting, detection, localization, and labeling
- Build perception software that integrates computer vision, sensor fusion, decision-making functions, and structures data-set generation.
- Develop and implement classical and learning-based computer vision on real-time platforms.
- Perform sensor selection for the camera perception system like RGB, infrared, and laser scan. Develop sensor-fusion and decision-making algorithms.
- Generate datasets for algorithm training from the real world and through synthetic methods. Build software & ML infrastructure for machine perception capabilities.
The skills & experience that you bring
- At least a B.Sc. in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Machine Learning, or a similar field.
- Academic background in Applied Mathematics, Machine Learning, classical Computer vision, Image recognition, and Perception systems.
- 3+ yrs experience in developing software with strong skills in C/C++, Python, and Matlab-Simulink and have developed software from architecture to production-level code in software, machine learning, and perception environments.
- 3+ yrs experience in developing ML tools in Torch/TensorFlow built and Classical computer vision algorithms in C++ and OpenCV.
- 3 yrs hands-on experience with optical, image sensor, or camera calibration, and their associated computer vision principles to process this data.
- 1-3 experience in generating, filtering, and augmenting large image datasets for computer vision.
- 1-3 yrs experience developing, training, and testing deep-learning-based algorithms for detection, counting, classification, segmentation, and tracking.
How to hit a homerun
- A track record of relevant academic publications, patents, and/or open-source software in machine learning and/or computer vision.
- Hands-on experience processing rich sensor data from LIDAR, RADAR, and cameras in environments captured by autononous vehicles.
- Experience in 3D graphics, focusing on 3D geometry manipulation (Vis-Rep, B-rep geometry representations) & Game engine experience in Unity3D (C#) or Unreal Engine (C++).
- Hands-on experience with building autonomous and/or robotic systems is a plus.