VP, Construction and Operations
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Salary Range: $225,000 - $245,000 plus bonus and incentive stock options
Reports to : Chief of Staff
About The Company:
NineDot's name derives from the classic mathematical puzzle for sparking out-of-the-box solutions. As a leading community-scale, clean energy developer with a growing portfolio of projects across a range of technologies, NineDot Energy is creating innovative energy solutions that support a more resilient electric grid, deliver economic savings and reduce carbon emissions. We plan to develop, build and operate more than 400 MW of clean energy systems by 2026 that will strengthen the local power grid infrastructure and provide clean, reliable and resilient power to tens of thousands of New York households and businesses. This is all in support of New York State’s mission to achieve 100% clean energy by 2040.
With the backing of the Carlyle Group - one of the largest private investors in renewable energy - NineDot is rapidly expanding its core team to scale its energy storage pipeline and continue innovating new products (i.e. vehicle-to-grid, community energy, etc.) to advance the decarbonization of New York’s grid. This is an exciting opportunity to build a platform from the ground-up with a world-class team of developers and innovators. NineDot is committed to building a company that exemplifies diversity, equity and inclusion values in its team culture, as well as business practices and community engagement.
The VP of Construction and Operations holds a pivotal role in orchestrating the seamless transition from project development and construction to the successful ongoing operation of energy storage projects. Their responsibilities encompass strategic planning, team leadership, stakeholder engagement, risk management, and a focus on achieving excellence in both construction and operational aspects.
- Develop and execute the overall strategy for energy storage project construction and operations, aligning with the company's goals and objectives.
- Provide strategic guidance to the Operations Manager and Director of Construction to ensure coordinated efforts and a cohesive approach throughout project lifecycles.
- Monitor the progress of various energy storage projects, ensuring that construction and operational activities are carried out according to the established timelines and quality standards.
- Collaborate with the Director of Construction to ensure projects are executed efficiently, on budget, and in compliance with safety and regulatory requirements.
- Lead, mentor, and manage the Operations Manager and Director of Construction, fostering a high-performance culture and promoting professional growth.
- Facilitate effective communication and collaboration across teams to optimize project outcomes and operational excellence.
- Foster strong relationships with key stakeholders, including BESS vendors, customers (e.g., Con Edison), regulatory bodies, and other external partners.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for major stakeholders, addressing concerns, and ensuring alignment with project and operational objectives.
- Oversee budget allocation and resource planning for both construction and operational phases, ensuring optimal utilization of resources while maintaining cost control.
- Identify potential risks and develop strategies to mitigate them, ensuring that projects and operations adhere to relevant safety standards, regulations, and industry best practices.
- Work closely with legal and compliance teams to ensure adherence to contractual agreements and regulatory requirements.
- Implement team goals to measure project progress, construction milestones, and operational metrics.
- Provide regular reports to senior leadership and the Board on project and operational performance, highlighting achievements, challenges, and areas for improvement.
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives across construction and operational processes, leveraging data-driven insights to enhance efficiency, quality, and overall project success.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive emergency response plans, ensuring the organization is well-prepared to handle unforeseen events during both construction and operational phases.
- Stay informed about emerging technologies and trends in energy storage, construction management, and operations to drive innovation and enhance project outcomes and safety features.
- Foster effective communication and collaboration between the construction and operations teams, ensuring a smooth handover of projects from construction to operations phase.
- Collaborate with other executive leaders to align construction and operational strategies with broader company goals, ensuring a unified approach to growth and success.
Competencies for Success
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; conducts excellent and honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answer.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Able to relate well to all individuals within and beyond the organization; builds appropriate rapport along with constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact.
- Perseverance - Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Dealing With Ambiguity - Can effectively cope with change and shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture.
- Creativity - Capable of coming up with new and unique ideas; easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions.
- Technical Learning - Picks up on technical things quickly, capable of learning new skills and knowledge, good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge.
- Intellectual Horsepower - Demonstrated ability to deal with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable, and agile.
- Developing Direct Reports and Others - Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; cooperates with the developmental system in the organization; is a people builder.
- Building Effective Teams - Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her/their team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Innovation Management - Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can project how potential ideas may play out in the real world.
- Planning - Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Electrical Engineering, Construction Management, or a related field.
- 10 years of proven experience in construction and operations management. NYC construction experience is a plus.
- Proven experience with operations, maintenance, dispatch and optimization of BESS is required.
- Previous experience in leading and managing a team of construction and operations professionals.
- Extensive knowledge of local building codes, regulations, and construction practices in NYC.
- Strong financial acumen and experience in budgeting and cost control.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills to build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, prioritizing tasks effectively to meet deadlines.
- A strategic mindset with a focus on driving results and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated ability in managing projects: development, planning, installation and execution.
- Proven experience with emergency response planning.
- Strong strategic and analytical ability within the context of business decisions
- Strong knowledge/understanding of business process creation and analysis, change management and other performance improvements.
- Experience with Google and MS Office productivity suites, as well as alternative productivity/collaboration tools.
- Team player that is well-adept at working with cross-functional teams to execute complex projects.
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and capable of quickly shifting priorities given day-to-day business requirements.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender expression, gender identity, sex, age, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran and military status, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status of an individual or that individual’s associates or relatives that is protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Covid 19 Protocols:
NineDot continues to monitor local COVID-19 protocols mandated by state and federal governments. For those who will be joining events in person, you may be required to test before meetings.