RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a ...View Company Profile
Are you interested in working with top tier media and passionate about the energy transformation and scaling cutting edge techno-economic climate solutions? Are you able to swiftly respond to media inquiries, identify media trends and draft creative, memorable pitches and original content? If yes, then join RMI’s Influence Team, our in-house communications and marketing team.
We highly encourage individuals of underrepresented groups to apply!
RMI is looking for a Media Relations Lead to manage proactive, reactive and thought leadership media around our work aimed at reducing emissions from the electricity, transportation and building sectors globally, as well as on US-specific federal and state energy and environmental policy. In this role, you will be fully immersed in climate and energy news, working to respond to media trends, events and requests, and proactively to identify and take advantage of opportunities for advancing RMI’s research, analysis, thought leadership and techno-economic policy solutions. You will have a knack for identifying stories that resonate and bringing them to life in ways that fit the wide range of news media formats and demands. You will have the ability to translate complex subject matter into content that will be accessible and interesting to reporters and the audiences their outlets reach.
You should have a significant background in the news media landscape and have experience working with reporters and securing targeted media coverage. Together with the media and wider communications teams you will be responsible for executing our media strategy, which is reflective of RMI’s brand and mission, to engage key audiences across target industries and segments. While part of the media team and reporting the Media Relations Director, you will work closely with communications experts embedded in teams focusing on decarbonizing the transportation, buildings and electric sectors around the world, as well as on related U.S. federal and state policy. You will serve as a mentor to these teams and provide support when needed to develop and execute media strategies.
A strong desire to make a difference in accelerating the adoption of renewable energy and tackling climate change is crucial.
• Contribute to global media strategies and PR campaigns for assigned programs and organization announcements in partnership with media team and program-based communications experts.
• Build and maintain relevant and strategic relationships with reporters and media professionals in traditional, new media, radio, broadcast, podcast and event spaces.
• Monitor media and related social media and stay ahead of news events and media trends/conversations in key RMI industries.
• Identify proactive opportunities for media engagement across RMI.
• Draft, edit and coordinate production and dissemination of press releases, media alerts, op-eds, talking points and social media content as needed.
• Craft nuanced pitches for key media at the optimal level of detail.
• Respond to inbound media requests, facilitate arranging of interviews and prepare necessary briefings.
• Use analytics to measure, track and report on progress of earned media strategies.
• Provide media recaps for every PR campaign in collaboration with Audience Insights team.
• Work with in-house editorial, design, and digital/social media services to execute PR campaigns.
• Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, marketing, advertising, or related field.
• Deep interest in energy, climate change, policy, and/or the broader energy transition.
• Three years of relevant experience in a fast-paced environment.
• Thorough understanding of, and interest in, the media landscape, including channels, best practices, and audiences.
• Excellent messaging and storytelling skills and ability to align media strategy with overall business objectives.
• Excellent communication and writing skills.
• Strong strategy, problem solving, storytelling, writing, and presentation skills.
• A strong team player with excellent interpersonal/collaborative skills with staff and internal clients at all organizational levels and with external partners.
• Ability to understand and utilize media coverage analytics.
• Ability to turn around high-quality work on tight deadlines under pressure.
• Exceptional organizational skills.
• Experience with news monitoring, reporter database, and newswire tools, particularly Cision, Muck Rack, Meltwater, and/or PRNewswire.
• Experience in one or more of the following industries: energy, climate change, policy, or the broader energy transition, or a PR agency.
• Self-starter and able to work under ambiguity and adapt quickly to changing environments.
• An intense drive for results and impact.
• Highly professional and organized.
• Creative, meticulous attention to detail.
• Positive, highly motivated, and flexible with changing deadlines and workloads.
Flexible. New York or Washington DC preferred, but open to fully remote applicants in other US locations. The role requires this position to work US East Coast hours.
RMI’s Basalt, CO; Boulder, CO; New York, NY; Oakland, CA; and Washington, DC offices will be available to successful candidates if based in these locations.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $65,322-$79,178. This is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. Additionally, this role has a 5% bonus target.
• We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
• Medical, dental, vision insurance
• 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
• Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
• Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
• Generous paid time off
• Parental leave
• Commuter and wellness benefits
• Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Required: Please attach Cover Letter in application.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
RMI is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.