Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
EDF is planning for implementation of a contract management system (CMS) and is seeking Senior Specialist, Legal Operations, who will be an integral part of the Corporate Legal Operations function as EDF matures its systems and practices to evolve with the changing needs of our internal users and the organization worldwide. Reporting to the Corporate Legal Operations Manager and working alongside a fellow Specialist, this role will be a key part of the business liaison functions of the Legal Ethics & Compliance (LE&C) team. Along with some essential operational and administrative duties within LE&C, the role will engage directly with Mission and other EDF staff who depend on the contracting process to advance their critical climate work, help administer and develop EDF’s current contract process and tools, and will be an essential member of the project team working towards a centralized EDF-wide CMS solution. This position is a vital contributor to the goals and objectives of LE&C in its role as the business owner of the CMS and other EDF corporate records worldwide. As such, this position is expected to be a growth opportunity, evolving over time based on the EDF and LE&C needs and the candidate's ambitions and abilities.
As a member of the LE&C team, we all share a responsibility for:
- Upholding and advancing EDF’s core values of Respect, Integrity, Optimism, Innovation and Results and to help effectuate EDF’s commitments to diversity, inclusion and equity across its mission and operations;
- Operating from a position of trust in one another’s professional skills, always assuming common purpose and good intentions, and acting out of kindness; and
- Succeeding together.
As an individual contributor, this role will be responsible for the daily operational and administrative duties within the Legal Operations function and will:
- Serve as the LE&C liaison for EDF’s interim and future contract management system and related processes, providing guidance and support as needed to help EDF ensure the tracking and cataloging of its grants and contracts globally.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of materials and resources to educate and update Mission and other staff on the effective use of the interim contract tool, evaluate user feedback for continuous improvement, coordinate with internal partners to troubleshoot and resolve system challenges.
- Contribute key requirements and be among the decision makers for selection of a future contract management software solution.
- Monitor and manage the Compliance Inbox to track requests to the team and take appropriate action to respond, refer or escalate as required.
- Process LE&C invoices from outside counsel and agencies.
- Collaborate with various departments throughout the organization to maintain and monitor Global Corporate Calendar.
- Assist with Policy database organization and management.
- Assist with EDF's nonprofit registration renewals.
- Create and maintain well-organized and accessible electronic files.
- Monitor and report on effectiveness of the above contract, calendar and other systems for efficiency, compliance and areas of improvement.
- Assist Chief Legal Officer with calendar management, travel, expenses, meeting organization, and additional tasks as needed.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Other responsibilities and opportunities based on workload and interest.
- Minimum of four years' work experience in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment.
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Paralegal certificate a strong plus.
- Experience applying process improvements and familiarity with contract management systems and software platforms strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Teams, Concur, NetSuite, Asana, Smartsheet, DocuSign, and similar systems strongly preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise discretion and work under pressure.
- Meticulous attention to detail, accuracy with numbers, and organizational abilities.
- Strong sense of curiosity, initiative and independence to approach new challenges confidently.
- Confident analytical and problem-solving ability to confront and address novel and sometimes complex matters, evaluate and identify appropriate solutions, and draw in support as needed.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, set and manage expectations, and meet deadlines.
- Works well independently as well as collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams and across multiple time zones.
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse geographies, cultures, and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.