We are looking for a talented digital product designer to join the software product team and drive design, including the user experience and user interface, for multiple software products. You will help create digital experiences that help scale the deployment of and maximize value, from distributed energy systems such as microgrids. This role will report to our Software Product Manager and ideally be based in the North-East between Washington DC and Boston, able to get to NJ or NYC every 4-6 weeks. This is a full-time contract role estimated to last about 1 year with the possibility to extend.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Take ownership of the usability of multiple software products (a mix of internal and external client-facing), building on existing live products.
- Partner with product management and engineering to understand and define user problems.
- Creatively and collaboratively problem-solve with colleagues to develop solutions, applying various design thinking methods.
- Define user-centric digital experiences and designs that are cohesive across the product suite and promote simplicity.
- Proactively drive usability research & testing directly with users.
- Create wireframes, mock-ups, and prototypes as needed; balance breadth vs. detail depending on the level of risk or clarity needed for any given feature.
- Help define and drive experiments, with a focus on usability.
- Consider edge cases and scalability in the design.
- Collaborate with engineering to understand technical challenges and make design tradeoffs accordingly.
- Support the development process including articulating specs and helping with QA.
- Develop a design system to unify multiple products on a single platform.
- Maintain clear and organized documentation including design specs and component libraries.
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven experience as a product designer or UX/UI designer in digital experiences & interfaces.
- Experience with simplifying complex concepts and user workflows and working on products involving a significant amount of data.
- Prior experience with both internal and external (client) facing software products is preferred.
- Experienced leading user research and usability testing.
- Proactive and self-motivated, able to drive work without significant direction.
- A bias for clean design and simplicity.
- Very fast and capable of designing tools (a preference for Figma since we are using that).
- Bias to fast iteration and experimentation, willing and able to, as needed, prioritize function and speed of development over visual perfection.
- Able and eager to take and incorporate feedback from across the company and its customers.
- Understanding of, and ability to, standardize components on React / Material UI libraries.
- Able to quickly get up to speed on key energy concepts. Prior experience in the industry is a plus.
- Note, all candidates will need to share portfolios showcasing previous projects.
About Scale Microgrids
Scale Microgrids (“Scale”) is a fully integrated distributed energy platform focused on designing, implementing and financing innovative distributed clean energy solutions. Through its leading technical expertise and access to scale capital, Scale helps its customers transition to a decentralized energy future by providing and financing sustainable, cost-effective, and resilient power solutions. Scale has its own proprietary microgrid solution which provides customer with cheaper, cleaner and more reliable power, and also partners with third party developers to acquire and/or finance a broader range of distributed energy assets.
We raised $500MM from Warburg Pincus, a global private equity firm focused on growth investing, to fund our business plan and accelerate growth. We are growing quickly and looking to augment the team with highly motivated entrepreneurial talent.
About Warburg Pincus
Warburg Pincus is a leading global private equity firm with nearly $80 billion in assets under management (AUM). Its active portfolio of more than 250 companies around the globe is highly diversified by stage, sector and geography. Warburg Pincus is a growth investor and an experienced partner to management teams seeking to build durable companies with sustainable value. To learn more about Warburg Pincus, please visit https://www.warburgpincus.com/.
Scale strives to attract and retain a workforce that reflects the composition of our customer base and communities. We are committed to providing a work environment that provides everyone equal access and opportunity to contribute and drive meaningful outcomes. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply and will consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.