Marble is a climate tech venture studio. Our north star is to erase billions of tons from annual greenhouse gas emissions and create a thriving future.
We partner with scientists, engineers and operators to create new deeptech companies that solve hard climate problems — slash industrial emissions, remove carbon from the atmosphere, and cool the planet — while reshaping multi-billion $ industries.
We're proud to be backed by leading climate investors across Europe and the US.
About The Role
We are hiring a Biotech Analyst intern to help us scope high-impact venture creation opportunities in decarbonization, climate change mitigation and adaptation. The role is ideal for a student
- pursuing a science or engineering degree related to Biotechnology, Synthetic Biology, Biochemistry or related field
- with a strong motivation to mitigate climate change.
- with an interest in deeptech entrepreneurship and a driving motivation to mitigate climate change
Reporting to our Science Associate, you will support research and talent sourcing activities. Your work will help us take strategic decisions on hiring Founders and investing in new companies. You will collaborate with our entire team, Partners included.
You will have the opportunity to work directly with brilliant Founders on a mission turn the tide on the climate crisis. You will get exposure to key programme activities and to the worlds of deeptech startups, venture capital, and climate solutions.
This is a unique opportunity to get in at the ground floor as we aim to create a new home for early-stage climate deeptech in Europe.
Location: On-site; HQ in Paris
Language: English fluency required. French fluency is ideal. Another language is a plus.
Period: 6 month internship starting January 2024.
At its heart, your work will about supporting technical diligence and analysis of new venture creation opportunities, and to help us source future Founders in Residence. Your day-to-day activities will vary but mostly fall into five main pillars:
- Research. Keeping a close eye on academic, startup, and industry ecosystems you will help us prioritise venture creation areas across our climate tech focus areas. You will track the most relevant people, labs and ecosystems.
- Diligence. You will support the team in the technical diligence of projects in our pipeline. This involves internal worksessions, expert calls, reviews of scientific literature, techno-economic analysis, environmental assessment, etc.
- Content. Part of the role involves the delivery of documents based on your work, both for internal and external audiences: research notes, presentations, memos, etc. You will help us develop and maintain our knowledge base (Notion, Airtable).
- Talent Sourcing. You will help us identify outlier candidates with deep technical expertise in our focus areas. You will contribute to outreach efforts using online channels, and may initiate or join screening calls to assess candidate potential and interest.
- Ecosystem. You will occasionally participate to events to help us build relationships with researchers, professors, industry experts, investors and founders. You will always be on the lookout for new talent and advisors.
Progress and plans for future work will be summarised in reports to our Science Associate.
The role may occasionally involve travel to attend conferences and other events.
Skills & Profile
While this role has many dimensions, you will spend a lot of time evaluating technologies that reduce emissions, remove carbon from the atmosphere, and build climate resilience. Your ability to learn on the job will be more important than ticking all the boxes, but if you recognise yourself below, we would love to hear from you:
- You are studying for a science or engineering degree which gives you a strong foundation in biology and its industrial applications.
- You are passionate about climate tech and deeptech entrepreneurship. You are familiar with the key trends and relevant ecosystems.
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator, able to produce convincing analysis of complex material and to present in public. Ideally, you know how to rely on compelling visual narratives to support your argument.
- You have a constant appetite for learning new things, including beyond your discipline. You are able to rapidly understand the fundamentals of a new technical field, by reviewing scientific literature and speaking with key experts.
- You are naturally inquisitive and curious, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to surface non-obvious insights.
- You approach radically new ideas and technologies with an open mind. You get to salient questions quickly, and your first instinct is to ask how they scale.
- You are comfortable admitting what you do not know. Conversely, you are not shy about challenging others, always in a respectful manner.
- You are self-motivated and action-oriented. You are comfortable defining your own goals and enjoy working on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment. You have a natural ability to prioritise tasks and manage your time.
- You love meeting new people and excel at managing and nurturing relationships. You are approachable, empathetic, and generous.
- You have an eye for Founder talent. You recognise a great team when you see one.
- You are a pragmatic optimist with a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
What We Offer
- €1500 monthly internship compensation
- Office in Paris (10e).
- Team + Founder offsites every quarter
- Exposure to our network of top investors, mentors & advisors
- Benefits: meal vouchers (Swile), 50% commute refund
How To Apply
Apply ASAP by filling this form. You will be asked for:
- Your CV + LinkedIn and other relevant profiles
- A concise cover letter telling us about you and why you want this role
- An example of a deeptech company or research lab doing amazing climate work. In one sentence, tell us why should we know about them?
We believe that a diverse group of minds is key to solving the climate crisis. We encourage women, people of colour and under-represented candidates to apply. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination.