Munich, Berlin, Amsterdam or London can work for this role for the right candidate and experience background
Systemiq, the systems change company and certified B Corp, was founded to drive the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on climate change by transforming markets and business models in five key systems: nature and food, materials, and circular economy, energy, urban areas, and sustainable finance.
We are guided by the conviction that all system transformations are rooted in human transformations. We must continue to bring more diverse people and voices into real conversations to succeed. We know we don’t have all the answers; we may not even have all the right questions. But we know that open mindsets drive change, so relationships, people, and trust are at the heart of everything we do.
Do you want to be part of the change?
Systemiq is looking for a Manager/Director with a track record of distinction in professional work. You have proven results in different contexts and are keen to work in a young, entrepreneurial company where you can get involved in a variety of projects, shape the business and make maximum impact. You come with a background in consulting or industry. You are passionate about Systemiq's vision and approach to system change.
Who is leading this change in the Energy Platform?
Partner Eveline Speelman joined Systemiq following a successful career at McKinsey, where she founded and led Sustainability Insights, overseeing the development of models and tools in sustainability. She specialized in developing (country) decarbonization pathways, industrial decarbonization, and broader energy transition. Eveline supported companies and investors to capture opportunities and mitigate challenges related to the shift to a low-carbon energy system and the broader issues related to resource productivity. Eveline brings international experience in advisory, consultancy, and partnership building and co-authored numerous publications.
We are looking for an experienced Strategy Project Manager/Engagement Manager with consulting, or industry experience to work in our Energy Systems Platform. You will help enable decarbonisation across the economy. We work both with the harder-to-abate sectors as well as other product/service sectors, by engaging with the full value chain to reach a critical scale of deployment of portfolio of solutions.
With advanced problem-solving, analytical and relationship skills, you will be experienced working on strategy type projects to deliver breakthrough insights, action and results. Ideally your background includes working at a leading management consultancy or in a strategy role in industry, public sector or civil society. You are keen to work in a small company where you can play a shaping role, help build out the team, and make an impact.
Our work includes
- Through our work with the Energy Transition Commission, we bring together global leaders from across the energy landscape to define pathways to zero-carbon energy systems, galvanise leadership in the business community, and inform policy development.
- In our work with the Mission Possible Partnership, we work with the World Economic Forum, Rocky Mountain Institute and WeMeanBusiness on decarbonization of the 7 hardest-to-abate sectors
- We partner with ambitious industry leaders to help them scope and seize the benefits of the low-carbon transition (e.g. assessing risks and opportunities of the energy transition for a mining company), and help remove systems bottlenecks (i.e. on infrastructure role out)
- We work with smaller business coalitions to create differentiated markets for low-carbon products and services – for example, the development of a low-methane natural gas market.
- We join forces with smaller businesses and innovators who propose distinctive, low-carbon solutions to accelerate their growth, like nuclear fusion and hydrogen-based aviation.
- Are excited. About the opportunity to improve the global environmental impact through low carbon solutions
- Have a plan. And know how to get buy-in and support from both clients and the project team
- Decisions in numbers. You use data-driven techniques to solve problems which has a positive financial impact
- Understand that change can be hard. You have a working knowledge of change management and the people side of behaviour change
- Delight in the details and apply your detail-oriented project management skills to ensure the team projects are scoped correctly and the team has the knowledge and support they need to deliver the global projects, products, and services
- Have thoughts on process. Your workload is meticulously organised and maintained, and you have a reputation for follow-through. You have exceptional time management and work prioritisation, and driving multiple responsibilities simultaneously with limited oversight does not faze you.
- Are humble. No task is too small for anyone, and you are eager to learn. You’re all about the team, not the individual.
- Get it done. You have a methodical approach to your multiple project management works with a strong focus on accuracy, attention to detail, consistency, and superb quality
- You’re a people person. You have outstanding interpersonal skills and can quickly establish rapport, build trust, collaborate, and demonstrate credibility and authority. You have proven stakeholder management skills and remain calm under pressure.
- Words matter. You have excellent communication skills, whether in-person, virtually, or by email, and you value listening and solving others’ challenges
- You’re solution-oriented. You can clearly explain issues, contribute to their resolution, and effectively influence and negotiate to achieve consensus and successful outcomes. You can anticipate needs, make reasoned decisions, and communicate them effectively.
- Curious. Keeps professional knowledge, capabilities, and skills up to date and an open and continuous learning mindset
Specific experience required
- Masters or equivalent degree – Sciences/Sustainability/Engineering energy related studies especially welcome
- 5 or more years advisory/consulting/industry project experience in a high calibre and international environment, ideally working with industry, energy, manufacturing, or agricultural clients
- At least 2 years of project management experience
- Systems thinking, problem-solving, analytical skills & collaborative team player with relationship management skills
- Intercultural competencies that bring multiple perspectives to confront society wide challenges
- Entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to identify opportunities and new initiatives and make them into reality (including business development)
- Comfortable with a level of (international) travel. This will vary depending on project but could be up to 20-30%. (however, we don't normally co-locate with clients and typically these are short term trips)
- Evidenced passion for the sustainability/ environment/ social enterprise space
- Natural alignment with SYSTEMIQ values; Creativity, Challenge, Collaborate, Change and Care
Applications from current residents ( or nearby) in the following cities will be considered:
Disclaimer: Please ensure you are legally eligible to work/live in your location when applying for this role. Visa sponsorship or relocation costs will not be provided.
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that diversity and inclusion are at the heart of system change and the mission we have set ourselves. So we commit ourselves to:
- Embedding diverse and inclusive ways of working from day to day. This includes recruitment, performance management, and people processes and policies.
- Providing a supportive environment. We want people to be themselves and be at their best, regardless of their background, personality, gender, sexual orientation, race, mental health, religion, or other characteristics.
- Enabling a long-term, sustainable approach to work and life more generally. We want to support our people at all stages of their lives – as parents or caregivers, through changing life circumstances – and to accommodate personal priorities where they matter most.