EnergyHub empowers utilities and their customers to create a clean, distributed energy future. Our customers are real utilities managing the real electrical grid supporting the normal lives of millions of real people. Our mission is to keep the grid running reliably while enabling more renewable energy and reducing reliance on fossil fuel.
As the Director, Applications Integrations, you will be responsible for the development and performance of our core applications – orchestrating the actions of millions of grid-edge devices (from smart thermostats to solar inverters to electric vehicles to entire factories) to safeguard the grid and enable its decarbonization. You’ll bring your technical and design expertise and your empathetic leadership to make sure we do that job safely and correctly, and empower our clients to clearly understand and easily use our platform. Your teams do things like
- Implement strategies to safeguard grid health
- Build interfaces to let humans understand and wield the platform effectively
- Build automations to protect the grid without human intervention
- Optimize multiple conversion funnels & implement tools to maximize the number of dispatchable devices under management
What you will do
- Attract, mentor, lead & retain the multiple engineering managers responsible for building and maintaining our core systems.
- Be an advocate for observability, reliability, equity and safety in all we do.
- Collaborate with the Product team to define our roadmap and surface growth opportunities
- Work across the entire Engineering team to establish best practices, help identify problems and implement solutions.
- Define and build the team responsible for core applications in line with our overall company objectives
- Work with Product and others in engineering to model the foundations for feature requests that open us up to new revenue or optimized fulfillment
Why you want to do it
- It’s big. Millions of devices with more power under management than the state of Hawaii – you’ll be fighting climate change at scale.
- Keeping it simple is hard. We’re adding new device types all the time, and leveraging more and more data to develop new strategies for grid stabilization.
- Reliability matters. Your teams’ systems control a non-trivial fraction of the North American power grid.
- It’s fun. Work with smart, mission-driven people. Play with cool new green technology. Solve puzzles in org design, system design, usability and more.
- It’s important. Climate change sucks. Our work enables decarbonization of the power grid.
Key Skills and Experience
- Hands on experience working with large complex systems, message queues, AWS (or other cloud platforms)
- Demonstrated success managing multiple technical teams.
- Enjoys building relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- You can read, write, and deploy code, even if you don’t do it as much lately.
- Passionate about technology and innovation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with the Java ecosystem
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Passion for the climate space and our mission to decarbonize and stabilize the grid
- Experience with Springboot, RabbitMQ, SQS, gRPC, NoSQL, Redis
- Experience transitioning to a service-oriented architecture
- IoT experience
- Experience working in a compliant environment
- Energy industry experience
The salary range for this position is $175,000 - $200,000 + bonus and equity. Base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills and experience.
Why work for EnergyHub?
- Collaborate with outstanding people: Our employees work hard, do great work, and enjoy collaborating and learning from each other.
- Make an immediate impact: New employees can expect to be given real responsibility for bringing new technologies to the marketplace. You are empowered to perform as soon as you join the team!
- Gain well rounded experience: EnergyHub offers a diverse and dynamic environment where you will get the chance to work directly with executives and develop expertise across multiple areas of the business.
- Work with the latest technologies: You’ll gain exposure to a broad spectrum of IoT, SaaS and machine learning challenges, including distributed fault-tolerance, device control optimization, and process modeling to support scalable interaction with disparate downstream APIs.
- Be part of something important: Help create the future of how energy is produced and consumed. Make a positive impact on our climate.
- Focus on fun: EnergyHub places high value on our team culture. Happy hours and holiday parties are important to us, but what’s also important is how our employees feel every single day.
EnergyHub is a growing enterprise software company that works with the most forward-thinking companies in smart energy. Our platform lets consumers turn their smart thermostats, electric cars, water heaters, and other products into virtual power plants that keep the grid stable and enable higher penetration of solar and wind power. We work on technology that already provides energy and cost savings to millions of people through partnerships with the leading companies in the Internet of Things.
EnergyHub offers a generous benefits package including 100% paid medical for employees and a 401(k) with employer match. We offer a casual environment, the flexibility to set your own schedule, a fully stocked fridge and pantry, free Citi Bike membership, secure bike rack, gym subsidy, paid parental leave, and an education assistance program.
EnergyHub is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In connection with your application, we collect information that identifies, reasonably relates to or describes you (“Personal Information”). The categories of Personal Information that we may collect include your name, government-issued identification number(s), email address, mailing address, other contact information, emergency contact information, employment history, educational history, and demographic information. We collect and use those categories of Personal Information about you for human resources and other business management purposes, including identifying and evaluating you as a candidate for potential or future employment or future positions, recordkeeping in relation to recruiting and hiring, conducting analytics, and ensuring compliance with applicable legal requirements and Company policies.