is a clean energy leader creating smarter, greener, healthier buildings for all by reducing the barriers to money-saving, quality-of-life-improving green building upgrade. We provide engineering, financing and project implementation services for our clients, with a special focus in historically left out communities across the country. These communities, and their buildings, are underserved by traditional energy services companies because they are considered too small, too costly, or too risky. Our portfolio of projects include houses of worship, schools, non-profits, small businesses and multifamily buildings. Through our work, we save our clients money, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve health and create local employment opportunities.
At BlocPower, we value our mission. We are trusted advisors that get things done for our customers by using data to make the right decisions. We support and expect excellence from our team members. We treat both our customers and ourselves with care and respect.
As our work is centered around systematically disenfranchised communities – including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people – we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
About The Role
- BlocPower is looking for a mid-level HVAC Engineer. In this role, you will be working on a cross-disciplinary team to provide HVAC design, review and commissioning services.
- You will serve as a technical leader and mentor on the Engineering Services team, sharing knowledge and educating co-workers and clients as needed. You will play an integral role at a leading company working to electrify residential and commercial buildings; initiative and expertise to improve processes and tools is critical to success in this role.
- This is a unique opportunity to work in a fast-paced, mission-driven organization. We offer a flexible, remote work environment.We offer competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefits package, and an opportunity to learn and grow in a cutting-edge environment.
What You'll Do
- Under the supervision of the VP of Engineering Services, the HVAC Engineer will:
- Lead site visits to assess existing buildings to understand retrofit opportunities and design approach. Make assessments of existing field conditions using knowledge of engineering systems (mechanical, electrical, plumbing for fire protection) design and operation.
- Perform load calculations, using industry standard methods
- Size and select equipment, and prepare specifications for electrified HVAC equipment and distribution systems, predominantly heat pump systems in residential, multifamily, and small commercial buildings.
- Develop schematic designs and/or review others’ designs for electrification of HVAC systems to determine appropriate scopes of work and accurately estimate project costs.
- Understand and effectively incorporate relevant local laws, initiatives, incentives, and benchmarking and their requirements into designs, especially the New York State Clean Heat Program and other electrification-related incentive programs from utilities and NYSERDA.
- Synthesize HVAC, engineering, and renewable energy knowledge to formulate comprehensive project solutions and life-cycle assessments.
- Perform research and write reports aligned with system scope.
- Performs equipment takeoffs for estimating purposes.
- Creates final design documents.
- Utilizes own expertise and works with vendors to specify equipment appropriate for its intended use.Commissioning
- Lead site visits to commission electrification systems such as heat pumps.
- Conduct thorough check of the HVAC equipment installed on site to verify the correct equipment and material has been installed and installed in the proper location and to verify that installation meets construction details and manufacturer’s requirements.
- Manage commissioning services provided by others commissioning agents
- Manage contractor in charge of test, adjustment and balance.Project and Client Management
- Proactively coordinate with cross-functional teams, including project management, site auditing, and sales, to deliver technical solutions to clients.
- Develop and deliver graphics, presentations, and communications with strong client-orientation.Technical and Team Leadership
- Develop and maintain strong domain knowledge and experience in electrified HVAC design.
- Serve as a subject-matter expert by effectively sharing domain knowledge to raise the level of the team
- Identify and implement substantial improvements to existing processes and tools or develop new, more effective solutions
- Mentor junior members of the team to accelerate their professional growth.
- Potential to supervise Jr. Engineers and Designers within your discipline, review work of junior level engineers, designers and technicians to ensure quality.
- Assist VP with project planning, managing schedules and budgets to complete work on time and within budget.
- May assist in defining staffing needs for specific projects and coordinating staff assignments to ensure optimal utilization of staff and timely delivery of high quality products and services.
Who You Are
- BS or Masters degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp, or similar visualization design tools to synthesize building and equipment information
- Commissioning certification(s)4+ years of experience of HVAC design and commissioning in a collaborative project development environment
- Strong understanding of building HVAC and electrical systems, green building, and high-performance design
- Experience with HVAC project cost estimation Understanding of energy efficiency concepts and building science
- Familiarity with NYS and NYC Construction Codes, Procedures and Practices.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills
- Must be able to multi-task
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to manage workload and complete projects on-time
What You'll Get From Us
- Targeted salary: $115k, negotiable commensurate with experience and certifications
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Maternity and paternity leave benefits per NYC law
- Commuter and bike to work benefits401(k)
- Experience with construction project management and/or managing MEP contractors
- P.E. License in NY State
- Experience with cold-climate heat pump system design
- Frequent site travel to buildings within NY State to assess energy opportunities
- Must be able to work in industrial and mechanical spaces, with exposure to heat, noise, heights, and confined spaces
- Must be able to move light (~20 lbs) equipment between office and site locations and ascend/descend ladders
This job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position. The duties and responsibilities may change without notice.
BlocPower™ provides equal employment opportunities(EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, BlocPower™ complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
BlocPower™ expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of BlocPower™ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.