SPAN develops products that accelerate the rapid adoption of renewable energy in the home. The flagship SPAN Smart Panel is the first true evolution for the traditional home electric panel, harnessing enhanced technology for metering, monitoring, and control. An expanded product suite of intelligent, integrated solutions radically lowers the cost and complexity of energy upgrades–including solar, batteries and EVs–empowering homeowners to be active, resilient and informed players in the energy market.
We are looking for a hands-on individual with a white hat hacker mindset to join us in a Cloud Security Lead role as part of the Security & IT team at Span. You will be responsible for architecting, developing and deploying security tools and technologies to protect the Span’s platform and backend infrastructure. You will get exposure and contribute to the broader systems and cloud infrastructure initiatives here at Span as well. Responsibilities include:
- Own the vulnerability assessment and patch triage process to support ongoing vulnerability and patch management at Span and provide recommendations for identified vulnerabilities
- Ensure that our production platform in AWS has been hardened as per industry standards e.g. CIS benchmarks
- Ensure all AWS security best practices have been implemented in the production platform
- Review security alerts and reports on a daily basis and work closely with the Infrastructure team in any follow up investigation or remediation
- Tune the logging infrastructure on an ongoing basis to surface true positives
- Perform vulnerability assessments of the Span’s production infrastructure Identify all vulnerabilities originating from third party dependencies and ensuring timely remediation
- Review the current and upcoming infrastructure stack from a security perspective and provide recommendations
- Manage the bug bounty program at Span and work with engineers for timely remediation of the reported issues
- Manage external independent Penetration Testing and ensure timely remediation of issues
- Deploy and own Security Incident and Event Management (SIEM) solution at Span
- Automate security controls using scripting to the extent that it requires minimal human interaction
We are seeking a Cloud Security Lead who has:
- Bachelors in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years in a Infrastructure engineering or DevOps role
- Hands on experience with AWS Security best practices
- Experience with key management tools like KMS, Hashicorp Vault
- Experience in using scripting languages e.g. Python, Perl, PHP, Ruby to automate tasks and manipulate data
- Comfortable with vulnerability scanning tools like Qualys, Nessus, etc.
- Experience with SIEM tools like Splunk, Sumo Logic etc.
- Experience with automation tools like Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Jenkins desired but not a must have
- Experience with container security and container orchestration tools e.g. Kubernetes desired but not required
- Experience with Web Application Firewalls (WAF) desired
The U.S. base salary range for this position is $149,000 - $204,000 plus benefits, equity and variable compensation for Sales-related roles. This range represents SPAN’s good faith estimate of competitively-priced salary for the role based on national, real-time industry data from companies of a similar growth stage. This range reflects minimum and maximum new hire salaries for the role across US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by location and individual factors including relevant skills, experience and education or training. This range correlates to the relative level of the candidate we believe we need for the role and may require an adjustment for candidates of a different level.
Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the location this role is based during the hiring process.
Life at SPAN
SPAN embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Headquartered in San Francisco’s vibrant SoMa neighborhood, we are an eclectic group of creative thinkers who value open communication, teamwork, and a ‘make it happen’ approach to addressing complex challenges.
We’re hiring talented individuals who are driven by success and are passionate about shaping the future of renewable energy. If that sounds like you, we’d love for you to consider joining the rapidly growing team at SPAN.
⚡ Competitive compensation + equity grants at a well-funded, venture-backed company
⚡ Comprehensive benefits (including medical; dental, vision, life and disability insurance)
⚡ Comfortable, sunny office space located near BART and Caltrain public transit
⚡ Strong focus on teambuilding and company culture (events, meet-ups, clubs)
⚡ Flexible hours and unlimited PTO
Interested in joining our team? Submit an application today and we’ll be in touch with next steps!