Why work with us?
We are breaking the boundaries and pushing our commitment in the EVTOL world by Changing the way the world travels. Our mission is powered by pioneers and progress is our prerogative.
Here at Vertical, we are developing the UK’s first fully electric, vertical take-off and landing aircraft (eVTOL), the VX4. With zero-operating emissions. Vertical is transforming the way people travel through offering a faster, safer and greener way to move.
Founded in 2016, Vertical is a leading aerospace and technology company, with the largest global pre-order book with prestigious airline partners such as Virgin Atlantic and American Airlines, and our exceptional partner ecosystem includes the likes of Rolls-Royce and Honeywell.
My Impact as the Battery Test Engineer
You are able to work in a dynamic innovative teams, building positive working environments and diplomatically resolving challenges to programme delivery. “Hands on” work will be expected, with the assistance of our skilled technicians. We are currently entering a phase of expansion with the objective of rapidly bringing competitive product(s) to market. As part of this expansion, we are looking for a Test Engineer within the battery team to deliver critical battery test activities, from testing initial design ideas through to ensuring final products perform to specification. It has a focus of working on high voltage battery pack systems and their module components. This team does not perform cell testing activities, but focuses on testing and assessing the high voltage battery assembly.
What success will look like for the Battery Test Engineer
- Planning and preparation of tests, including material handling, instrumentation and cooling system connections, electrical connection work (including HV)
- Delivery and reporting for battery testing activities that are associated with mechanical, thermal and electrical performance of the battery assembly and its sub systems so that they are delivered on time and on budget. Examples of which are:
- Long term electrical cycling
- Battery abuse testing (drop, thermal runaway, crush, short circuit, mechanical shock)
- Battery vibration testing
- Characterisation testing for the development of new simulation models.
- Ground equipment testing which is associated with the battery assembly.
- Battery management system testing
- Battery cooling system testing
- Robustly record test methodology and results for certification authorities and the wider business to review
- Support the scheming and designing of electrical and mechanical systems (and rigs) required to enable various test activities, this can cover HV and LV networks/systems of the battery assembly.
- Perform risk assessments of testing activities and ensure the right measures, documentation and measures are in place, whilst being a role model of the company’s safety-first culture.
- Support the planning, development and delivery of new battery test facilities.
- Supporting test operations at third party facilities away from normal operating base and when required to travel and work extended hours
- Supporting the development of requests for information and requests for quotation for testing services and equipment from third party providers.
- Support the definition of requirements for the battery system and battery associated group equipment
- Support and the writing of technical documentation for the aircraft
- To undertake live working on high voltage battery assemblies in support of pre and post test inspections, instrumentation and system analysis.
- Production and delivery of high quality data to customer teams
- The creation and update of standardised battery test scripts
Everything sounds very interesting but how do I know this is the role for me?
We are looking for people that will have the following qualifications and experiences:
We seek a unique individual, who has a mix of hands on test experience (electrical, mechanical and climatic) and desk based administrative and test planning work. A career background in electric vehicle or battery testing (in Aerospace or Automotive) would be particularly advantageous, together with an interest in green technology and/or aviation.
- A degree or NVQ in an engineering or technical discipline, or equivalent experience
- A working knowledge of HV lithium-ion battery systems
- Knowledgeable in battery test methods and data analysis
- Hands-on experience of battery test operations, including preparation, set-up and monitoring
- Assembly and installation of test jigs, cooling systems and instrumentation.
- Knowledgeable in the use of battery cyclers and battery test scripting languages
- A good knowledge of the health and safety challenges around battery testing.
- Experience of operating, maintaining and calibrating test equipment and associated systems
- Demonstrable technical skills to plan, coordinate, and delivering test rigs and solutions.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining relationships with numerous internal and external stakeholders
- Experienced with standard laboratory and workshop toolsas well as high voltage working.
- Competent with data loggers such as Dewesoft, Vector (Canalyizer, CanNoe etc.), PICO, Lab View.
Experience of the following is desired but not essential
- Previous experience with electric aircraft and/or VTOLs
- Electro-mechanical systems integration experience
- CAD familiarity (CATIA/Solidworks) for interrogating digital models
- Experience with JIRA and Confluence
- Professional qualification with iMechE, IET or similar preferred but not essential
- Knowledge of battery electrochemistry and the electrical and thermal behaviour advantageous but not essential
- Previous experience of high voltage live working advantageous but not essential
What can you expect from us? For us it is important that people feel valued for the impact they have and are able to thrive and experience the career journey of a lifetime. Our overall approach to reward seeks to offer competitive packages that attract the diverse and talented people we need to achieve our ambitious objectives
Our Vertical Additional Benefits
‘Primary Benefits’ are available as standard, 5% Pension Match, 2 x Salary Life Insurance, Income Protection, 26 days + bank holiday and the opportunity for extra 5 days when getting married or forming a civil partnership
‘Flex Fund Benefits’ are benefits that don’t come as standard, but you can ‘pay’ for using a company provided ‘Flex Fund’ (equal to 4% of salary) Private Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, EV Car Subscription, Home EV Charger, Holiday Buy, Pension Top Up, and many more
- ‘Payroll benefits’ Workplace ISA, Commuter Loan, Interest Free Technology Loans
- ‘Extra benefits’ are the many benefits we offer that can be accessed through our rewards platform, incl. Discounted Shopping Scheme, Eye Care Benefits, Free Mortgage Advice, Financial and Comprehensive Wellness Benefits
Eligibility to participate in our market leading employee long-term-incentive plan
Our Ways of Working In the UK we have two offices and a Battery facility in Bristol, an office in London and a site in Kemble with well stocked free kitchen provisions including hot drinks, fruit and breakfasts every weekday. Our typical full time working week is 37.5 hours. We recognise the world of work is rapidly evolving and that 9-5 is no longer a fitting pattern for many. We want to support all employees to deliver their roles to the best possible standard by offering an additional level of flexibility between our sites and home where suitable for your role. Typically, this is agreed with your team, ensuring there are times for collaboration on site and work from home as appropriate.
Do you like the look of this opportunity but not sure if you meet all the criteria we’ve outlines? Here at Vertical, we are working to create an environment of growth, diversity and opportunities for people to take on challenges and push the status quo.
We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure... we'd love to hear from you.
This is an on-going advert and interviews will be held on an ad-hoc basis until sufficient applications have been received.